Filtering attributes in a Sharepoint list to display in the ArcGIS map plugin

09-07-2023 01:28 PM
EPAHUNT1
New Contributor II

I'm using the ArcGIS plugin on my Sharepoint page and the data is connected to a Sharepoint list. I want there to be a user-friendly way (a button, control panel, legend) that a user can click on to select for specific attributes within the Sharepoint list that will then be displayed on the map. 

I know that it's possible to add a new web part and set up "connections" but this doesn't allow for the filtering I need across several columns.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Hello @EPAHUNT1 --

Thanks for posting your question. Can you please let us know if you are using the "modern" ArcGIS for SharePoint app or if you are still on the "classic" app?

Also, just to make sure I understand your question correctly, you want to filter the data on the map using a legend, right? Do you also want the capability to write queries or just be able to filter features using the legend?

Thanks,

Raaj

0 Kudos
EPAHUNT1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the quick response Raaj. I'm using the modern version. 

Yes, I'd like to filter the map based on a legend a user can click through. For example, if there is a "date" column and a "element" column (in the original data in the sharepoint list), the user can click on 2022 and Lead (as a simple example) on a legend or control panel and the map would display data points associated to those attributes. 

I don't need to be able to write queries at this point.

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Thanks, @EPAHUNT1 . I will be sharing this enhancement request with the leads and I can provide you an update next week. 

Just out of curiosity, in the legend, if you are classifying the data by year, how would you add a second attribute to it? Are you using "color" and "size" to add two attributes to the legend?

Thanks,

Raaj

0 Kudos
EPAHUNT1
New Contributor II

Thanks very much Raaj,

EPAHUNT1_3-1694128204966.png

In this fake dataset, I would want a user to be able to see a legend where they can select a constituent, say Benzene, and then select a date, say 2019 and the map would show the point for well ID's 1, 2, and 3 and then the values for Benzene for selected date.

Alternatively, the user could select a Well ID, say 2, and select a constituent, say Lead, and the map would display the Lead values for Well 2 in 2019 and 2020.

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Hello @EPAHUNT1 --

Thanks for your response. Based on the example you have shared, it appears like you want to be able to filter based on multiple attributes, not just what's available in the legend, right? The legend will only show based on one attribute, in your case, it can be either the constituent or year, but not both, right?

0 Kudos
EPAHUNT1
New Contributor II

Thanks Raaj,

Yes, I'd like the user to be able to apply filters on multiple attributes. It can be both the constituent and the year (the user clicks on a unique date, say 2019, and Benzene). Or the user could click on a unique value for Well ID, say Well ID 2, and a constituent.

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

@EPAHUNT1 --

Got it. I will discuss your enhancement request with the leads and will give you an update by end of next week.

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

@EPAHUNT1 --

Hello, I've discussed this enhancement request with the team and we have added to this to our feature request repository. In terms of priority and when we can publish this feature, I will let you know in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I was wondering if you have used the "dynamic data" feature to establish multiple connections between the map and list(s)? I am confident that the workflow that you explained to me can definitely be achieved through the "web part connectivity" aka "dynamic data" with multiple connections. Let me know if you would like to chat about this feature?

If you've tried web part connectivity and if it still doesn't work, do you think the web part connectivity needs an enhancement which will address your use case?

Thanks,

Raaj

0 Kudos