Editing data in a SP list

01-13-2012 02:16 PM
JTessier
Occasional Contributor II
I do not see that the tools allow for editing data on the map directly, that comes from a Sharepoint List.  Please correct me if I am wrong but I only see the edit tools available if feature layers are involved on the map.  To edit the item in a sharepoint list you have to go through the edit item form, and if that is the only way, then is there a way to add other reference layers to the map presented there?
Thanks in advance,
J
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi J,

I do not see that the tools allow for editing data on the map directly, that comes from a Sharepoint List. Please correct me if I am wrong but I only see the edit tools available if feature layers are involved on the map.

Yes, you're correct. You can only edit features from a feature service in the Map Web Part.

To edit the item in a sharepoint list you have to go through the edit item form, and if that is the only way, then is there a way to add other reference layers to the map presented there?

Correct again; to edit items in a SharePoint list, you would do so in the edit item form.

To change the base map displayed in the location field of a SharePoint list item, you can edit a file called LocationOnMapStartupMapDocument.xml located in the ArcGIS Mapping Config Files folder. Simply change the referenced map service.

This will change the base map displayed in the location field for all of your SharePoint lists.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
JTessier
Thanks for the help, we were actually able to add an ArcGISDynamicMapService on top of the tiledmapservice I currently have, to provide better context from the layers I am already using in a published map service.

Request for next version: get editing of the sharepoint list into the map itself.
Thanks,
J
0 Kudos
JTessier
Just noticed, can I change the scale of the map window by default?  I see the extent coords, but that doesnt really make sense as it zooms to the location of the feature for each one.  Scale or zoom level would be a better value here.   Is there a also a maximum scale set to zoom into, or is that determined by the first basemap layer as in the other APIs?
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi J,

Request for next version: get editing of the sharepoint list into the map itself.

Please submit your enhancement request here: ArcGIS Ideas site

Just noticed, can I change the scale of the map window by default? I see the extent coords, but that doesnt really make sense as it zooms to the location of the feature for each one.  Scale or zoom level would be a better value here. Is there a also a maximum scale set to zoom into, or is that determined by the first basemap layer as in the other APIs?

Not 100% sure what you're asking for here. Are you asking for the ability to specify a specific map scale to zoom into in the Map Web Part? The map's zoom scales are determined by the basemap's cached tile levels. So this "is determined by the first basemap layer" is true.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
DougCampbell
New Contributor III
Just an FYI,
To change from the default map to the Open Street Map Base map I changed this line:

[PHP]
<e:ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer Url="http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer" esriExtensibilityocument.IsBaseMap="True" esriExtensibility:MapApplication.LayerName="Topographic"/>
[/PHP]

to this:
[PHP]
<e:OpenStreetMapLayer esriExtensibilityocument.IsBaseMap="True" esriMapping:LayerExtensions.LayerName="OpenStreetMap"/>
[/PHP]

Useful?
0 Kudos