SharePoint HUB Structure versus SUB Sites....

07-31-2023 01:11 PM
BrianLabelleSMLP
New Contributor II

Good day to all...

I'm a SP Admin/Dev and installed the ArcGIS SharePoint Webpart in our MS Tenant.

Did a quick POC where I was able to display SharePoint GeoTagged documents across multiple SharePoint SUBSITES with ease. Geotags wrote to the SharePoint Term Store perfectly, etc...

The problem is that I have architected project with the more modern SharePoint HUB sites.

Are there any plans to implement HUB Site picker in the webpart when geotagging SharePoint Document Libraries ? I acknowledge the complexity of traversing 3 or 4 hub levels to aggregate doc libraries.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/planning-hub-sites

https://sharepointmaven.com/hub-sites-vs-subsites/

ArcGIS-SP-Sub-vs-Hub-Sites.jpg

12 Comments
RaajRaaj

@BrianLabelleSMLP - Thanks for reaching out to us. I really appreciate your question. Currently we do not support "Hub sites" for the geotagging workflow. But I am going to add this to our backlog, discuss this with the leads and provide you an ETA as to when we can have this enhancement available to our users. I will keep you posted.

In the meantime, if you have any other questions regarding the product or if you'd like to share other ideas for future enhancements, please feel free to post it on EC.

Thanks once again.

Raaj

BrianLabelleSMLP

Raaj.

Thanks for being so active in the forum and answering so quickly. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

This webpart is a definite game changer for us. 

RaajRaaj

@BrianLabelleSMLP - Thanks for your kind words.🙂

BrianLabelleSMLP

Raaj... I'm sure that your dev ops team would already consider this, a feasible workaround for already deployed geotagged documents if / when the new webpart is ready. 

I don't want to waste the team's time all excited to geo tag everything, then have to do it again in a year from now ....

RaajRaaj

@BrianLabelleSMLP - If I understand correctly, your question is if documents currently in sub sites are tagged to features and once we roll out the support for hub sites, will users be required to tag documents once again?

Correct me if I am wrong?

Thanks,

Raaj

BrianLabelleSMLP

correct. If they'd have to retag, then I'd rather keep the integration under wraps so we'd only do it once at a later date.

While not having the webpart with the hub feature isn't a deal breaker for us at this time and we only deploy per SITE... but... 

Once executive management sees what we are doing, we know the eventual requirement will be to build a global US map for all of our asset pipelines.

Each Hub Spoke is a pipeline asset rolled up into the hub US State rolled into our Global Governance Compliance HUB.

Our vision is to geotag all related SP documents to segment pipeline sections.

I hope that gives you some context....

RaajRaaj

@BrianLabelleSMLP -

I am 75% sure that when you "move" a tagged document from a "sub site" to a "hub associated site", the tags will get transferred with the document(s). You just need to make sure that the library where you are moving the document has the column for "Managed metadata" and the termset is pointing to the same termset used for storing ArcGIS for SharePoint terms or geotags. But I can get back to you by end of next week if this is 100% possible. 

Thanks,

Raaj

RaajRaaj

@BrianLabelleSMLP - Hello Brian, hope you are having a good day.

I wanted to let you know that once you geotag documents (using the ArcGIS for SharePoint app) in your subsites and if you "move" the documents to "hub sites", the geotags will be preserved as long as the following are met:

1. The hub associated site(s) to which the documents are moved has a managed metadata column

2. The managed metadata column in the hub associated site(s) uses the same termset as the one that's used for storing the geotags from the ArcGIS for SharePoint app. 

I'll keep you updated on the progress and also an ETA as to when we will rollout this feature.

In the meantime, feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions or feedback.

Thanks,

Raaj

BrianLabelleSMLP

Thanks so much for the update... 🙂

RaajRaaj

You're welcome! 🙂