ArcGIS Maps for Power Bi join feature not working

Jump to solution
11-29-2021 09:36 AM
estud1os_113
New Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to use the join feature available in the ArcGIS Maps for Power Bi visual to connect data in my Power Bi report to data uploaded to our ArcGIS Online server. When I try doing the join it seems to work but once I try filtering the visual using a slicer the map doesn't respond it just keeps loading endlessly. 

This video demonstrates what we would like to accomplish using the join feature: Join Your Data to ArcGIS Layers - YouTube

However, this is a video I recorded showing what happens when I try doing the join myself: https://vimeo.com/644026377/041bd3b6ac

Have others experienced issues with this feature? 

Thanks in advance! 

Tags (1)
This is "Nueva grabación - 11/9/2021, 1:23:43 PM" by James Klau on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your response, it's much appreciated. Good to get clarification on how this should work. However, if you take the perspective of a general user, they don't want to know how to open the join layer widget just so that their filter is applied correctly to the map. I get where you're coming from if you're a spatial user and are using it map centrically. But from a non spatial user's perspective it just doesn't work e.g. the image in my post above where the user wants to select the areas that apply, to filter the rest of the data on the page, and have the same filtering apply to the map. 

AnneTetley
Occasional Contributor

Hi Anthony,

Do you know if there have been any further developments on this?  Is the requirement to leave the Join layer  dialogue open for the interactivity to work any nearer to being resolved or is it with us for the foreseeable future? 

Many thanks

Anne

ScottLarkin
New Contributor III

Hi ESRI,

Also wanting to know if this bug (feature) has got any traction to being resolved?

You cannot expect the general user to know this step to interact/slice there data using a reference layer.

Regards

Scott

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Hi @ScottLarkin and @AnneTetley - My apologies for not seeing this. Sometimes the posts in here get lost! 

I know this feature is quite troublesome. As mentioned in a previous post, the infrastructure in which we built this feature was incredibly restricting. However, we have this on our project board to resolve this year (post 2024 Esri User Conference). 

I do apologize as I know this has been a pain point for a long time. And I agree, having the window open is not ideal. However, it was (at the time) the only way to make Power BI know that data was on the map. 

Please bear with us as we now have a path forward to make this a better experience for everyone. Thank you for your patience on this issue! 

ScottLarkin
New Contributor III

Hi @AnthonyLatini,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I understand the hurdles that need to be jumped (and sometimes compromised) for a product to be delivered. 

I look forward to the fix/resolution post the User Conference, fingers crossed.

Regards

Scott

0 Kudos
QuintenBoone
New Contributor

I am also looking forward to this fix 🙂

0 Kudos
MarkHodgson
New Contributor

Feeling optimistic about this fix later this year, thanks for the update @AnthonyLatini 

0 Kudos