ArcGIS Maps for Power Bi join feature not working

Jump to solution
11-29-2021 09:36 AM
estud1os_113
New Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to use the join feature available in the ArcGIS Maps for Power Bi visual to connect data in my Power Bi report to data uploaded to our ArcGIS Online server. When I try doing the join it seems to work but once I try filtering the visual using a slicer the map doesn't respond it just keeps loading endlessly. 

This video demonstrates what we would like to accomplish using the join feature: Join Your Data to ArcGIS Layers - YouTube

However, this is a video I recorded showing what happens when I try doing the join myself: https://vimeo.com/644026377/041bd3b6ac

Have others experienced issues with this feature? 

Thanks in advance! 

Tags (1)
This is "Nueva grabación - 11/9/2021, 1:23:43 PM" by James Klau on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ismaeloltra
New Contributor II

I have the same problem, if you leave the JOIN layer pop up open, as per my screenshot, it will allow you to use the filter.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
ismaeloltra
New Contributor II

I have the same problem, if you leave the JOIN layer pop up open, as per my screenshot, it will allow you to use the filter.

estud1os_113
New Contributor

Wow! Thank you so much! Not ideal but it works! Hopefully this bug will be corrected soon. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User I'm experiencing the same issue. Filters only work if the Join layer window is open. This is with version 2021.2.95.

mpc_0-1644779377459.png

0 Kudos
QuintsShark
New Contributor

Hi All, please excuse me if this is covered elsewhere, but is this a known issue and a fix will be forthcoming?

The workaround is great, but it's not  a solution that is acceptable for a published report. Our users will not understand the steps necessary, or more importantly, want to apply all of the steps to be able to filter.

Any help would be greatful received.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
estud1os_113
New Contributor

Hi, unfortunately we also decided that this workaround was not acceptable and moved on from ArcGIS. We are now using Mapbox which also has limitations, but the join feature from published layers in their server works fairly well in Power Bi. 

I haven't tried using the ArcGIS visual recently so I am unable to tell you if this issue has been fixed or not. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can confirm with version 2022.2.105 of the map this bug is still there. Without the join layer widget open it doesn't filter the joined data.The workaround isn't acceptable for end users and currently ArcGIS Maps for Power BI has a number of issues. It took me ages to get around the login issue that keeps occuring and despite clearing cache folders, restart etc. the login window would flash up over the map and then disappear.
@AnthonyLatini

Tags (3)
RodPBI
by
New Contributor III

Comforting to know that I'm not the only one that's suffering from multiple issues that, when combined, make the visual un-usable (in terms of expectations) beyond maybe a demo or a simple solution.  I find I often start with the ArcGIS visual (because my users want it), but when it comes to crunch time and production needs, I end up using MS Bing maps or (occasionally) Mapbox...  The thing is, once these issues get ironed out, ArcGIS has all the potential to be the go to visual for Power BI mapping needs.

RemoteMC
New Contributor

Good to know more people are having this issue. This is marked as "solved" but it is merely a work around that is not user friendly and/or intuitive. Please give this high priority for the next release. 

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Good afternoon all!

I was looking over a few of these comments related to the Join layer feature. Currently, to use this feature, the Join layer widget must remain open while making selections. The reason for this is because of some unique infrastructure/environment variables that are currently preventing us from accessing and selecting these items directly. For example, if you have a Power BI Data layer on the map (e.g., addresses), the selection tools will only interact with the Power BI Data layer when selecting them. 

We are currently enhancing this feature and working on some BUGs that were reported, however, there is always room for improvement in general. 

I would encourage to post in our Ideas page to enhance this feature. I have also added a reference page for the Join Layer documentation.

Ideas: ArcGIS for Power BI Ideas - Esri Community

Reference: Join layers—ArcGIS for Power BI | Documentation

0 Kudos