Timeout for Power Automate ArcGIS Connector

Jump to solution
06-27-2022 12:25 PM
EendrulatGH
New Contributor II

Microsoft's documentation for the ArcGIS Connector list a few limitations, including:

Connections will time out after 14 days and must be refreshed manually by initiating a sign-in to ArcGIS.

Does this mean that any PA flows using the connector will need to be manually updated every 2 weeks? Is there any longer term plans on the roadmap to address this, or suggested workarounds to avoid this manual step?

Appreciate any guidance!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

Hi @EendrulatGH - your understanding is correct. The connection uses a token to connect to ArcGIS Online and it expires after 14 days forcing the user to refresh the connection.

We are working with Microsoft and investigating other methods for authenticating to avoid the two week expiration, but no timeline for release has been set.

-sean
Sean McGinnis - ArcGIS for Microsoft 365 Product Manager

View solution in original post

SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

@PaulGiroux1@Katrin_Hils  - thanks for reaching out.

To answer your question regarding the token timeout, it is no longer an issue with the ArcGIS for Power Automate Connectors. We worked with Microsoft to adjust the way the refresh tokens were be refreshed and now there is no need to refresh the connection as long as the flow runs within your refresh token's lifespan.

The Survey123 Connector is different connector using the previous authentication method. There are plans to update the authentication process to alleviate the need to refresh the Survey123 connection every two weeks, but that is managed by another team.

-sean

View solution in original post

7 Replies
SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

Hi @EendrulatGH - your understanding is correct. The connection uses a token to connect to ArcGIS Online and it expires after 14 days forcing the user to refresh the connection.

We are working with Microsoft and investigating other methods for authenticating to avoid the two week expiration, but no timeline for release has been set.

-sean
EendrulatGH
New Contributor II

Thanks for the confirmation!

abul123
New Contributor

Hi @SeanKMcGinnis,

Is there any update on this?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

It's a 90 day time out now on the ArcGIS connector, I believe on all builds of it.

0 Kudos
PaulGiroux1
New Contributor III

@SeanKMcGinnis, you mentioned working on other methods to keep connections active. First, can you confirm what @RobertAnderson3 said about the 90 day time out? If that's correct, then I'm gold but if it's still 14 days, then I'll need to find other methods (API key, etc?).

I have a public Survey123 form so not sure the longest period before the form is used to report an issue so I want to make sure my flow it stays alive, regardless. We're also building flows with ArcGIS webhooks wanting to control this for those also.

0 Kudos
Katrin_Hils
New Contributor

Hi Community,

we are struggling with the same issue. In our case we have over 10 Surveys (in AGOL) and at the moment around about 15-20 Power Automate flows connected to these surveys. It's quite a pain to check every 2 weeks whether the connection is still there. As there was an development for ArcGIS Connector in ArcGIS Enterprise, I was hoping the same for ArcGIS Online. Unfortunately, this is not the case for the moment.

Therefore, I posted the issue as an Esri Idea and wanted to share this post (https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-for-power-automate-ideas/solution-for-timeout-for-power-automat...) with you. I guess it might help, if this post gets some Kudos.

I kindly want to ask you to please give Kudos to this Esri Idea. I guess the more Kudos, the better and the higher the priority? 🙂

Thank you! 

SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

@PaulGiroux1@Katrin_Hils  - thanks for reaching out.

To answer your question regarding the token timeout, it is no longer an issue with the ArcGIS for Power Automate Connectors. We worked with Microsoft to adjust the way the refresh tokens were be refreshed and now there is no need to refresh the connection as long as the flow runs within your refresh token's lifespan.

The Survey123 Connector is different connector using the previous authentication method. There are plans to update the authentication process to alleviate the need to refresh the Survey123 connection every two weeks, but that is managed by another team.

-sean