Power Automate Flow to Copy Data from Sharepoint to ArcGIS Enterprise Server on the Fly

Jump to solution
07-07-2022 11:08 AM
_CameronPearson
New Contributor

Hello, We are trying to implement a flow to copy flat file data to our ArcGIS Enterprise portal on the fly. Anytime an end user updates/changes the flat file sitting in Sharepoint which has address/location within the attributes we would like the data copied/updated on our ArcGIS Enterprise Server in near real time. This will allow our maps/apps/dashboards to get synced with up to date data. Any help on the easiest workflow would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Cameron

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

Good Day @_CameronPearson - at this time, the ArcGIS Connector for Power Automate only connects to ArcGIS Online. We are working on identifying the security best practices that will allow the connector to authenticate against Enterprise and are planning to release it by the end of this year.

That being said, the workflow you are laying out is possible with existing actions and triggers against hosted feature layers in ArcGIS Online. Microsoft does have a trigger to listen for new or edited files. The flat file would have to be structured so it could be iterated through and include unique ID's for each record. There will be some complexity in determining if the record needs to be updated because of a change or created because it is a new record. But the ArcGIS Connector's update and create record actions could handle it.

One thing that might make the process a little easier is instead of a flat file, using a SharePoint list. The Power Automate trigger for lists knows which record has been created or edited and would pass the unique ID and the flow is working with a single record and not having to infer the delta(s).

I hope this helps and feel free to share any comments or other questions you may have.

-sean
Sean McGinnis - ArcGIS for Microsoft 365 Product Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

Good Day @_CameronPearson - at this time, the ArcGIS Connector for Power Automate only connects to ArcGIS Online. We are working on identifying the security best practices that will allow the connector to authenticate against Enterprise and are planning to release it by the end of this year.

That being said, the workflow you are laying out is possible with existing actions and triggers against hosted feature layers in ArcGIS Online. Microsoft does have a trigger to listen for new or edited files. The flat file would have to be structured so it could be iterated through and include unique ID's for each record. There will be some complexity in determining if the record needs to be updated because of a change or created because it is a new record. But the ArcGIS Connector's update and create record actions could handle it.

One thing that might make the process a little easier is instead of a flat file, using a SharePoint list. The Power Automate trigger for lists knows which record has been created or edited and would pass the unique ID and the flow is working with a single record and not having to infer the delta(s).

I hope this helps and feel free to share any comments or other questions you may have.

-sean
0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

at this time, the ArcGIS Connector for Power Automate only connects to ArcGIS Online.

Could you please clarify this? Do you mean the direction of data flow from Power Automate/MS365 to Enterprise is not supported? I ask this because we do have an ArcGIS Enterprise connector which is set to capture basic info from Portal webhooks which feeds into other Power Automate flows.

I'm only familiar with one connector for ArcGIS in Power Automate.

0 Kudos
SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

@ZacharyHart  - that is correct. The current  release of the ArcGIS Connector for Power Automate is not able to connect to or utilize services from ArcGIS Enterprise.

-sean
0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

@SeanKMcGinnisMy fault...I was thinking of the Survey123 Connector for Enterprise. The ArcGIS Connector for Enterprise will be a welcome addition!

0 Kudos
ACrateau
New Contributor III

Hello @SeanKMcGinnis ,

As you suggested in the above post, I'm attempting to set up a workflow where when a Sharepoint list item is modified, a hosted feature layer (ArcGIS Online) is updated with the new values. 

In this case, the owner of the SP List is someone else in our organization, but I have view access. I'm the owner of a hosted feature layer with the same column names, including a column "SP_ID" which maps to the ID of the SP List. 

Will I be able to setup an action using the ArcGIS Connector "Update a record in a feature layer" to accomplish this?

0 Kudos
SeanKMcGinnis
Esri Contributor

Hi @ACrateau - that is an interesting use case.

I am not sure of Microsoft's security model and the rules allowing a user that only has view access to listen for deltas in a list. As for the use of the "Update record in a feature layer" action, that would be the one that would the one to use to query based on your SP_ID values and update the record.

-sean
0 Kudos