Select to view content in your preferred language

Can Power Automate Update and Add Features to ArcGIS Online from Excel?

4 weeks ago
JonJones1
Frequent Contributor

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Power Automate, but I frequently create ArcGIS Online (AGOL) maps, as I'm the admin for my company's AGOL account. I’m curious if Power Automate can be used to update feature layers stored in AGOL directly from a shared Excel spreadsheet (hosted in Teams or SharePoint/OneDrive). Specifically, I want to know:

• Is it possible to set up Power Automate so that if I update the Excel file, the corresponding features in my AGOL map will automatically update with the new information?
  • Could Power Automate also be used to add new features to the AGOL layer based on data added to the spreadsheet?

I’d love to hear any advice or solutions if this is feasible. Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

These items are definitely possible to do though I have not personally set up this style of flow before. I found a sample post of when a row is updated on the Power Automate forums, I would guess there is a way to tell if it was an update to an existing record or a new record based on the action it returns, or querying for the ObjectID to see if it exists then create branching paths to create or update When an Excel row is created, modified, or deleted (powerplatform.com)

Using the ArcGIS Connector you can create or update a record in a feature layer, to create you'd just need the geometry to pass to it in the format it expects. The one thing to keep in mind would be the ArcGIS connector is a Premium one so you'll need a paid subscription to Automate.

0 Kudos
DominicRoberge2
Frequent Contributor

Hi @JonJones1 

I had a similar process has yours and the way I setup my flow was as follow:

1) I created a dummy hosted table on my AGOL matching the Excel table schema

2) I Created a Power Automate flow that filter the "Active" records from my Excel spreadsheet (I have Active and Inactive records... make sure your Field name do not have spaces in it... apparently it's a bug in the Filter function), then I add new records in my dummy hosted table. 

DominicRoberge2_0-1726669930982.png

3) I am using Data Pipelines (in AGOL) to update my Master hosted feature layer using the Dummy Hosted table if I have new records or some of the existing records have been updated.

DominicRoberge2_1-1726670482721.png

In my case, I am not dealing with a lot of records (less than 200) or live data so the process is fairly quick and I can schedule it to run it every hours.

I am sure there are many different ways to get this process done, I just wanted to share my process.

Good luck!