See feature service table in Excel?

03-20-2019 06:48 AM
MichaelBerzinis1
New Contributor III

Searched first, tried in Maps for Office 5.0, but cannot determine if one can access the tabular data for a feature service you pull into a map in Excel (through maps for office)?  This seems pretty basic, but essential, to see existing feature service tabular data in Excel which is designed for interacting with tables....................

#Excel#feature service(s)#agol hosted feature class

0 Kudos
8 Replies
deleted-user-qpvAI3Fo0MKR
Occasional Contributor III

Just to be clear, are you trying to view the active hosted feature service in Excel, or are you hoping to download the data for viewing in Excel?

MichaelBerzinis1
New Contributor III

View the tabular data and interact with it both in the table and the map, e.g. select a row in the table, and see it on the map, or filter the excel/fc table and see the results on the map. 

0 Kudos
MichaelBerzinis1
New Contributor III

Sorry, as for what goal : use the vast row and column capabilities of Excel to filter, select and interact with table based data.  E.g., it's easier to filter in a table for Federal Forests using a state name than it is to try to select the State's forests on a map. 

0 Kudos
deleted-user-qpvAI3Fo0MKR
Occasional Contributor III

If your end goal is to create some selections, then your best bet, AFAIK, is to use the Select By Attributes function from within ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Hello Michael, to help paint a clearer picture, could elaborate on your current workflow and perhaps the end goal of we are trying to achieve please?

Best, 

Shannon 

0 Kudos
MichaelBerzinis1
New Contributor III

Ok, I load a Map  hosted Feature Service (FS) like national forests into Excel ArcGIS Maps and I want to see the map and the table.  I can see the layer in the map, but how can I easily see the tabular data in the Excel array where arrow points to(image below)?  Do I need to separately paste the table data from the FS to excel, then connect that data to the FS using a location column (this is the way it used to work and it's a pain)?   This help?

ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the clarification of your workflow Michael. Unfortunately, there is not an option to add tabular data from the feature service map into the excel workbook. When a layer is added from ArcGIS Online (in Maps for Office) it serves as a visual aid representation to enhance existing excel data.

A potential solution may be to use ArcGIS Online, add the feature service and use the Extract Data tool to package the layers in your map into datasets that can then be used in ArcGIS Pro, Microsoft Excel, and other products. Extract Data creates an item in Content containing the data in your layers. You can then download the data from the item (see: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/analyze/extract-data.htm).

I hope this helps! 

All the Best, 

Shannon 

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I know this is old but why did the ability to see tabular data in excel?  I get asked for it all the time for years now.  I really think this tool was designed backwards.  No one wants a map in excel they want the data.