multiple geometry types in one map/spreadsheet

11-16-2021 07:29 AM
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

I'm just getting back into using ArcGIS for Office. Wondering if it is possible to store point, line and polygon information in 1 excel sheet. I am working with a sheet of assets that display as coloured polygons on a map in excel based on a status field (active, surplus etc.). There are errors in my map because not all of the assets are stored as polygons. Is there a way to indicate in the excel sheet when a row should be associated with a point layer vs a polygon layer? For example, I want to display vacant land as polygons and washrooms as points (we may manage the washroom but do not own the land they are on) . 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Sarah and welcome back!!!

You should be able to add the selected cell range multiple times, and choose a different method for matching. If you have the geometry data in a column, there are some ways we can display that too but its very specific in what we can read and how.

Would you be available for a meeting so we can walk through this?

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Kudos
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

Is this possible by selecting a subset of the data range and pointing that to each feature layer? I have been able to associated both a point and polygon feature layer on AGOL with my excel sheet but I think I'm still seeing map errors because it doesn't understand that I want to display a point or polygon for each record, not try to match every record with both the point and polygon feature layers. Would love to be directed to a blog post or content on the esri learn site for this topic if that exists!

SarahHartholt_0-1637244536210.png

0 Kudos