Select to view content in your preferred language

Joining Spreadsheet to Geographic (State Boundaries) layer by field name (state name) - Add to Map Greyed out

Jump to solution
12-14-2023 01:05 PM
eric3918esridot
New Contributor II

I've got a spreadsheet of some internal business data by state.  I'm trying to join the data to state boundaries via state name using "Join to geography layer"  I can select the geography layer and the fields to join but the Add to map button is greyed out.  I'm signed into my organization, and I've cleared the Microsoft cache, and the cache associated with my ArcGIS Online Sign-In.  This was working fine about 45 minutes ago but I discovered an error in one of my fields and tried to fix it and wound up removing the layer from the map and deleting the associated service in ArcGIS Online.  I think Excel is holding on to something or my organization is.  I've also moved the spreadsheet to a different tab in Excel.  I noticed that when I select fields to map in the Join to Geography Layer there is an objectid and a rowid.  I didn't notice them earlier today when this was working but I get that they should be created when the layer gets shared as a service.    What am I missing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eric3918esridot
New Contributor II
Shannon, I fixed the issue. Something was wrong with the excel table. I wound up removing the table formatting and copying the data out of my workbook. Then I created a new xlsx, pasted the data in and went to the insert ribbon > Table. Then I formatted all of the field names with no spaces and formatted the worksheet and table to have no spaces and was able to add the data to a map and publish it as as service.

I’ve also verified that I can modify the data and update the service. Very happy camper now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

@eric3918esridot Good morning! Thank you for posting your question. Let's try to troubleshoot a bit. Can you help me understand the exact workflow? 

1. What did you choose for 'Select Geographic data'? A boundary or My content, etc.

ShannonCardoza_0-1702929073466.png

2. Did you add 1 field or 2 or multiple? If I add 1 field the 'add map' button appears greyed out. If I add another field, the button is available.

ShannonCardoza_1-1702929174301.png

Best, 

SC

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
eric3918esridot
New Contributor II
Shannon, I fixed the issue. Something was wrong with the excel table. I wound up removing the table formatting and copying the data out of my workbook. Then I created a new xlsx, pasted the data in and went to the insert ribbon > Table. Then I formatted all of the field names with no spaces and formatted the worksheet and table to have no spaces and was able to add the data to a map and publish it as as service.

I’ve also verified that I can modify the data and update the service. Very happy camper now.
0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

So glad to hear @eric3918esridot Happy Holidays 🙂

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos