Tracker last known location update causing Field Maps to fail

05-04-2022 04:50 AM
Mitch_East
New Contributor III

Our field staff are using Field Maps with Tracks enabled on Trimble TDC 600s and with offline maps. Several folks have reported Field Maps suddenly failing during collection of a new record. They have to restart the app and begin collecting the record again. It happens 10 or so times in full working day. Attached are two screen shots: the first shows the error when Field Maps fails, and the second shows the error log after restarting the app.

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Mitch_East   Can you share which version of Field Maps you are using?

Have you tried using it without tracking enabled? The log messages of "Failed to update last known location" are expected since your device is offline. It cannot update the last known location on the server. It's possible the issue is not related to location tracking and is caused by something else.

0 Kudos
Mitch_East
New Contributor III

The version in this case is 22.0.1. We have the map setup to require Tracks be turned on so...

I had them display the log right after reopening the app so it seemed suspicious that the Tracks tried to update right before it failed.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You may want to try updating to 22.2 - it was just released yesterday which contains quite a few changes and fixes since 22.0.1 was released.

0 Kudos
Mitch_East
New Contributor III

Ok thanks. We will install that update and see how it does.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@Mitch_East I echo Aaron's comment about the app version; please let us know if you experience the same issue on version 22.2

I also wanted to get some clarification on the workflow that the field crews are doing when they experience this behavior - the failure with collection. Are they collection new features, editing existing features, adding attachments, etc? Thanks

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
Mitch_East
New Contributor III

They are collecting new features in offline maps. The entry form has some simple conditional visibility expressions.

0 Kudos