Tracker app with Field Maps app

Jump to solution
06-30-2021 12:34 PM
MatthewKing
Occasional Contributor II

We have some older equipment that only can run ArcGIS Tracker (ios is too old for Field Maps).  Can a map setup in Field Maps pull in tracking data from equipment using the now older ArcGIS Tracker app?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, that should be possible given that the burn chief has the correct permissions. They would have a map created for Field Maps that includes the burn area boundary (and another of relevant data layers), plus the Location Tracking Service View that includes the user accounts for the equipment assuming each truck has their own device on board. This could be one View with all users or single views for each user. It sounds like you would be most interested in the Last known location layer mostly, but you could also view their tracks as described (this may make the map a little busy if they are close).

Colin

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @MatthewKing ,

I assume you mean view the tracks from other users within a map in Field Maps. This is possible with a couple caveats:

- Mobile works by default can only view their own tracks. This includes the Location Tracking Service added to a Web Map.

- To view the Location Tracking Service or any View created from the service (using Track Viewer Web app), the user must be an administrator -or-

- Have the user privilege to "view location tracks" and access to a track view (shared with them)

In summary, when a user is provisioned correctly, the Track View is shared with them, and the Track View is added to a Web Map they can view existing tracks in Field Maps within that map. Keep in mind these are tracks that have already been uploaded from the Fieldworkers devices from either Tracker or Field Maps using tracking. More info in the doc here.

A helpful hint: There is a new layer in the LTS called Track Lines which is automatically generated based on uploaded track points. You will see much before performance using this layers as opposed to the Tracks layer when viewing in Web or Mobile clients. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

I should note that Collector still has the ability to view tracks stored on the device from ArcGIS Tracker if the user is signed in to the same account on both apps. Field Maps cannot read directly from tracks collected on Tracker.

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
MatthewKing
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Colin for the quick reply.  I think 😁 I get what you're saying, in that with a bit of configuring you can see (in Field Maps) the location of field workers that are using the Tracker app.  

I'll also describe what we want to do to make sure it's possible.  We do prescribed burns in conservation lands and the burn chief, who's out on the burn, would like to see in Field Maps the location of equipment (trucks and fire engines) as well as the boundary of the proposed burn area.  Is that possible?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, that should be possible given that the burn chief has the correct permissions. They would have a map created for Field Maps that includes the burn area boundary (and another of relevant data layers), plus the Location Tracking Service View that includes the user accounts for the equipment assuming each truck has their own device on board. This could be one View with all users or single views for each user. It sounds like you would be most interested in the Last known location layer mostly, but you could also view their tracks as described (this may make the map a little busy if they are close).

Colin

Regards,
Colin