Take points with same site information

Jump to solution
09-19-2022 02:07 PM
BriJasinski
New Contributor

Hi I am new to ArcGIS Online and mobile platforms (although very familiar with ArcMaps and Desktop). I've been exploring trainings and forums and still have a few questions.

I am setting up a field maps program where our crew will be navigating to a single site with site-specific information and marking down the location of each tree in that site with tree-specific information. The next year, we come back and re-visit each tree within the site and take down tree-specific information as well as weather information that will apply to every tree on that specific day.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible within Field Maps to make site-specific information apply to all points taken without entering it at each point, like in Survey123?

2) Would it be possible to make weather information apply to all points updated within a specific day on the return visit, or would that have to be entered at each individual point?

As of now, I am thinking I should use Survey123 to collect the initial point data with site-specific information, then link that with Field Maps for return visits to update each point, with weather information updated individually.

Any advice or insights on this would be wonderful.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MobiusSnake
MVP

One option is to use both S123 and Field Maps, but in a different way than you described.  Web maps can be configured so that when you open a layer's pop-up in Field Maps, it contains a link that launches a S123 form.

Create a feature service that contains two datasets.  The first, a point layer for basic site information that won't change over time, possibly just the location and a unique ID.  The second, a non-spatial table containing visit-specific details such as tree information and weather.  There should be a 1:M relationship between sites and visits.

Use Field Maps to create sites by creating points, then have the layer's pop-up configured to launch the S123 form.  The URL that launches S123 will pass through the site's unique ID, creating a relationship once the S123 form is submitted.  During the first year the users would create the features in Field Maps then immediately launch and submit a form.  In subsequent years the users would use Field Maps to navigate to the sites, but click on existing features and submit a new form.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MobiusSnake
MVP

One option is to use both S123 and Field Maps, but in a different way than you described.  Web maps can be configured so that when you open a layer's pop-up in Field Maps, it contains a link that launches a S123 form.

Create a feature service that contains two datasets.  The first, a point layer for basic site information that won't change over time, possibly just the location and a unique ID.  The second, a non-spatial table containing visit-specific details such as tree information and weather.  There should be a 1:M relationship between sites and visits.

Use Field Maps to create sites by creating points, then have the layer's pop-up configured to launch the S123 form.  The URL that launches S123 will pass through the site's unique ID, creating a relationship once the S123 form is submitted.  During the first year the users would create the features in Field Maps then immediately launch and submit a form.  In subsequent years the users would use Field Maps to navigate to the sites, but click on existing features and submit a new form.

0 Kudos
BriJasinski
New Contributor

This is exactly what I needed to know, thank you!! I will explore these options.

0 Kudos
BriJasinski
New Contributor

Hi Mobius, 

A few questions for you - the process in the third paragraph is clear to me, but I'm unclear on how the second paragraph would fit into that process - I've done a lot of coding in R, but will have to use forums quite a bit to figure out how to use coding to modify ArcOnline forms and layers.

"Create a feature service that contains two datasets.  The first, a point layer for basic site information that won't change over time, possibly just the location and a unique ID (this is the same layer that will have a S123 pop-up for tree data collection?).  The second, a non-spatial table containing visit-specific details such as tree information and weather (This will be a table that would have to be filled in separately for each visit in subsequent years? Could it be somehow linked to the tree data updates for existing features on that visit?).  There should be a 1:M relationship between sites and visits."

0 Kudos
MobiusSnake
MVP

Hey Brian,

This should be a no-code setup.  To create a hosted feature layer with a layer and a related table your best bet isn't to code it together, although that is possible.  The best way to start this is to create a File GDB in Pro, create a feature class and a table, add Global IDs to both, add a GUID "target field" to your table, then create a relationship class that links the feature class to the table using the former's Global ID field and the latter's GUID field.  Once set up, post it to Online using one of two methods:

• Publish it from Pro
  • Close Pro, zip up the FGDB, publish it to Online by uploading it through the web interface and enabling a hosted feature layer in that process

Re: first question, yeah the point layer will be displayed in Field Maps with a pop-up containing a S123 link.

Re: second question, the non-spatial table will contain all "visits" and associated information (inc. photos I'm guessing).  When you create a S123 URL in your pop-up, you can pass through fields from your feature in Field Maps - here's some doc on that.  You'll want to pass the Global ID of the feature in Field Maps to the survey, using the GUID field name.  In the survey, create a hidden question (named for your GUID field) that holds the Global ID passed in from Field Maps, so that when the survey is submitted it will write the feature's Global ID to the table's GUID field.  This will create a relationship (or link) between the point in Field Maps and the survey information.

I'm fairly sure this workflow has been described on here better than I'm doing at the moment but I can't seem to find anything unfortunately.

0 Kudos