Suddenly cannot add data/edit in most field maps!

06-30-2021 06:22 AM
AaronWorthley1
Occasional Contributor II

Our field crews suddenly cannot add data/edit in Field maps in iOS. Looks like the app was auto updated to 21.2.0 sometime recently (still 21.1.1 on another device where editing works as expected on same maps). Testing here in the office suggests it's happening with both online/connected maps as well as offline map areas.

Anybody else encountering this? Have found one map with offline map area that still has editing available, all others do not have the "+" sign at the bottom of the screen even though editable layers are included and the map has "Use with Collector" checked ON. 

Editing appears normal on web/browser version of the ArcGIS Online Map.

MAJOR problem, any advice would be most appreciated!

11 Replies
AaronWorthley1

Working with ESRI support- this appears to be a bug related to the  World Imagery basemap used. A possible temporary workaround: In AGOL (classic), change the basemap to something else, then back to Imagery. Save map. Reload in Field Maps and data collection is now available.

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AaronWorthley1 ,

I apologize this is happening to you. I was able to track down what I believe is your support interaction and BUG. This seems to be related to Web Maps published from Pro with the Imagery basemap which results in the Web Map missing the "Data Editing" key. Saving the Web Map in ArcGIS Online correctly adds this key. I dont believe this is related to the Field Maps update (that went out subsequently with an ArcGIS Online update). However, I can help explore this further. What version of Pro are you using? Did you recently publish these maps directly from Pro?

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
AaronWorthley1

Yes, published from Pro v2.8.0. Going into the AGOL map and changing the basemap to something else then back to imagery fixes the issue. I've tried updating my basemap gallery in Pro but that doesn't appear to change anything. Everything from the same workflow was working correctly yesterday, today no editing ability. Field crews downloaded offline areas yesterday or the day before for use in the field today.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

The issue is irrespective of the basemap being used; this will actually happen using any basemap. The current workaround is to simply save the map in ArcGIS Online map viewer. Saving will correctly add the "Data Editing" type keyword which is missing when published. We will work with the Pro and Online teams to find the best way to resolve this. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
AaronWorthley1

Colin- one additional note: Yesterday while troubleshooting I ran 2 iPhones side by side one with Field Maps 21.2.0 and the other with 21.1.1. With the same maps open on both at the same time, the 21.2 device did not have the + sign, while the 21.1 device did. I checked this with several maps. This was before I implemented the workaround of saving the map in AGOL. I could be wrong, but to me this suggests an issue with the Field Maps release. Screen shots of both attached.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@AaronWorthley1 You correct in your assumption. Since my last post we have been in discussions with the Pro team. It seems they are not including this key for Web Maps published directly from Pro where we would expect them to have it. We made a switch at this release to read this key to determine if a Web Map is editable or not (from the old Collector key). ArcGIS Online is assigning this key correctly; Pro is not. We are working towards a fix now it just remains to be seen whether thats app side or Pro side. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ColinLawrence unless it's only Pro 2.8 that's causing this, then please fix it app side unless Esri is going to release a patch for a number of older versions of Pro. Too many fixes are only going into patches for the latest release of Pro, which not all organisations can upgrade to immediately or in the short term.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@Anonymous User @AaronWorthley1 The plan at this time is to fix this on both ends (Field Maps and Pro). Field Maps so it honors both legacy and new keywords and Pro so it publishes with the correct one. We anticipate a minor bug fix release for Field Maps in the near future that will include this fix. 

For others, here is a summary of the issue and a workaround: https://support.esri.com/en/Technical-Article/000025995

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @ColinLawrence . We ran into this issue https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-questions/field-maps-feature-tiling-disabled/td-p/10... the other day but upon opening the web map in the Field Maps Web App and enabling both 'Use in ArcGIS Collector' and 'Use in ArcGIS Field Maps Mobile' for the Web Map settings in ArcGIS Online, thus far it seems to be working and we're no longer getting an error when taking it offline or syncing an offline map. I do wonder if this is related and whether Web Maps must be opened with Field Maps Web App to properly work. Previosly it had been opened in Map Viewer but not Field Maps Web App.

0 Kudos