Overzoom basemap (shuts off basemap)

Jump to solution
04-13-2022 03:46 PM
DavidPuckett
Occasional Contributor

Our imagery basemap 'disappears' when zooming in past level 21 but we would like it to overzoom such that the imagery pixelates but doesn't go away. @ColinLawrence you mentioned in this post that "Collector and Field Maps do use basemap overzoom where you can zoom in past the available scale level so the room and smaller scales are not always necessary;". We are seeing this overzoom behavior with the same imagery basemap in Collector but in Field Maps the imagery simply goes away. Is there a setting in the app or webmap that we can set to enable the overzoom? Or something else we can do?

Big Thanks for any insights

21 Replies
DavidPuckett
Occasional Contributor

Ha! A feature or a bug!? Ok, this makes sense and we will change the MaxScale in the web map. I do wonder if the cache scale of the imagery service matters too. We are also planning to re-cache our imagery to include higher zoom levels. It seems the combination of these two solutions will definitely work for us. Thanks for the info on this @ChrisS1 . I'll report back after we put these 2 fixes in place to confirm that it worked, or not.

0 Kudos
DERSONC
New Contributor

Hey Chris,

Thanks for that tip above, are there any other little steps to achieve the desired outcome?  World Image Service keeps disappearing after I edit the json in the agol assistant.  best.

ac

https://users.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9a469cada6f84cf08ba08780008fd84b

0 Kudos
TomBrenneman_CGEO
New Contributor II

@ChrisDunn1 Setting the MaxScale to 0 for the basemap layer in the webmap json fixed this for me. Thank you!

0 Kudos
EdwardMcFarlin
New Contributor II

This works great until the user changes the basemap, Then the changes made in the web map JSON revert to whatever the new basemap was that the user selected. Can the MaxScale be changed directly in the basemap map service JSON so any (of our internal) basemaps also draw at larger scales when the user selects different ones in the app?

DavidPuckett
Occasional Contributor

An update:

Setting the maxScale to 0 in the web map basemap in ArcGIS Online Assistant did not resolve the issue for us. There was no maxScale property in the basemap layer json at all but we added it with no result.

We resolved it by setting the Resampling max scale property to 0 of the imagery service in ArcGIS Server Manager. Perhaps this is because we are using our own imagery, not sure, but this worked for us.

JonahW
by
New Contributor III

Hi David,

Can you provide more information on the resampling? Was that just changing the property in the imagery service in Manager or did you have to republish or recreate the cached tiles? Adding the maxScale property in the JSON of the web map did not work for me, so I am trying to figure out what else I can try to do. 

Thank you!

Alina 

0 Kudos
DavidPuckett
Occasional Contributor

Hi @JonahW just setting the resampling max scale property to 0 in ArcGIS Server Manager worked for us, no re-caching of tiles necessary. Setting the maxScale property in the JSON of the web map did not work for us either. Good luck!

JonahW
by
New Contributor III

Excellent! Thank you very much! This did the trick!

MikeFrates2
New Contributor II

@ChrisDunn1 Setting the maxScale to 0 also worked for us. Thank you. This new feature should be considered a bug and reworked. Perhaps a setting and/or option to resample the basemap beyond the maxScale defined by the cached basemap and/or web map. What else is odd is that we're using a custom basemap with tiles down to 1:71, but the maxScale always resets to 1:282 after a save, even though we've configured the web map to show all the way to 1:71.

0 Kudos
A-Will-3
New Contributor II

While "fixing" bugs is admirable disabling aspects of the software that users are relying on without providing access the settings to control behavior is very frustrating!  Any updated way to address the MaxScale setting for sideloaded base maps?