Overzoom basemap (shuts off basemap)

Jump to solution
04-13-2022 03:46 PM
DavidPuckett
Occasional Contributor

Our imagery basemap 'disappears' when zooming in past level 21 but we would like it to overzoom such that the imagery pixelates but doesn't go away. @ColinLawrence you mentioned in this post that "Collector and Field Maps do use basemap overzoom where you can zoom in past the available scale level so the room and smaller scales are not always necessary;". We are seeing this overzoom behavior with the same imagery basemap in Collector but in Field Maps the imagery simply goes away. Is there a setting in the app or webmap that we can set to enable the overzoom? Or something else we can do?

Big Thanks for any insights

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDunn1
Esri Contributor

HI @David ,

The ability to zoom in beyond the maximum visible scale of a basemap and have the basemap still visible was actually a bug (albeit a useful one for many people). Field Maps now honors the MaxScale setting in the json for the webmap so the basemap will disappear when you zoom in beyond that scale. The current easiest way to get around this and keep the basemap showing when you zoom in is to use https://ago-assistant.esri.com to change the MaxScale for the basemap to 0. This will keep the basemap visible no matter how far you zoom in.

I hope that helps.

Chris

View solution in original post

21 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I've seen this happen with some of our basemaps. The visibility range for a basemap usually corresponds to the range for which tiles are cached. By opening up the basemap in your web map, you can make sure that the visibility range on the basemap service goes all the way to the closest zoom.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III

I want to follow up on this.  Our base maps via Field Maps use to zoom PAST the cached layers defined scales up until a few weeks ago.  I'm thinking some sort of update changed something.  I opened up the exact same map in Collector and we can still zoom in past the extent of defined scales.  This is new to Field Maps!

How do I get this back?  If this setting was removed from Field Maps then I think it needs to come back.  We are using a GPS with field maps and sometimes we need to zoom far in to see points that they GPS that are within 5 feet of each other.  Having the aerial basemap disappear on them is making it difficult for them to do their job.

DavidPuckett
Occasional Contributor

This is EXACTLY our use case too. Hoping @ColinLawrence can weigh in here since he mentioned that both Collector and Field Maps *should* both overzoom.

EdwardMcFarlin
New Contributor II

I can confirm that the most recent update for Field Maps took away the overzoom capability. I was able to zoom past the largest basemap scale without it disappearing this morning. I then updated the Field Maps app in iOS and the basemap now disappears when zooming in past the largest scale (the overzoom still works in Collector. This is a crucial capability that we need for our field editing workflow.

SveinungBertnesRåheim
New Contributor III

This is a bad update. Would be very useful if someone from ESRI could explain this step backward.

Mevs604
New Contributor II

Agreed, this is a problem for our field staff as well.

0 Kudos
TomBrenneman_CGEO
New Contributor II

We are having the same issue at the City of Columbus. I have confirmed that the overzoom of the basemap works in Collector but not Field Maps. We would like the same functionality in Field Maps as what is in Collector.

0 Kudos
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III

It doesn't seem this post is getting much traction from ESRI, so I added it in the Ideas area.  Go give it some Kudos to push ESRI to bring this back!

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-ideas/bring-back-the-over-zoom-basemap-capability/id...

ChrisDunn1
Esri Contributor

HI @David ,

The ability to zoom in beyond the maximum visible scale of a basemap and have the basemap still visible was actually a bug (albeit a useful one for many people). Field Maps now honors the MaxScale setting in the json for the webmap so the basemap will disappear when you zoom in beyond that scale. The current easiest way to get around this and keep the basemap showing when you zoom in is to use https://ago-assistant.esri.com to change the MaxScale for the basemap to 0. This will keep the basemap visible no matter how far you zoom in.

I hope that helps.

Chris