Offline Map Area Includes an Entire Polygon (not clipped to map area)?

Jump to solution
02-01-2021 11:48 AM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I created an offline map area and I'm experiencing irregular behavior for one of the map polygon layers. The polygon layer is a filtered polygon in the web map. I'm not sure if this is important. When I create my offline map area, the entire polygon is showing instead of being clipped to the map area extent. 

I have not had this happen before. Besides inconsistent behavior, it is also causing the offline map area to be larger than necessary. Actually I think I have had this happen before for reference layers. I'm using the polygon for a related table in the app. I would prefer it be clipped to the map area.

Can you advise? Thanks in advance,

Kathy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @kmsmikrud ,

This is expected behavior. Layers are not clipped to an extent of an offline area when the area is generated for Field Maps. If a feature bleeds over the boundary the entire feature is brought in. You could clip the beforehand as a workaround. You could also use a sideloaded basemap and preplanned areas to help minimize the download size.

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @kmsmikrud ,

This is expected behavior. Layers are not clipped to an extent of an offline area when the area is generated for Field Maps. If a feature bleeds over the boundary the entire feature is brought in. You could clip the beforehand as a workaround. You could also use a sideloaded basemap and preplanned areas to help minimize the download size.

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Colin for the information.

I didn't realize this is expected behavior because when you define an offline map extent by creating a polygon it seems reasonable to think it is clipping all the layers in the map extent to your polygon. Could Esri please update this in the documentation?  I would think for most people and from a data management standpoint it would be much cleaner of a workflow for the polygon defined in the offline map extent to clip out features that bleed over. It essentially does this for imagery basemaps and reference layers (like hybrid and ocean reference layers I use already.

I am already sideloading the imagery basemap and would rather not have to slice up the larger polygon if possible. I appreciate the information, but I'm disappointed that this is expected behavior for features other than Esri features.

Thanks,

Kathy

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kathy,

I understand the frustration around this. The act of clipping would be performing an edit on the feature would cause an inconsistency between your replica and the parent service. This process would also slow down the generation of the offline area as it would be adding an additional process. 

I agree this can be more effectively documented. We will see what we can do to improve this messaging. Thank you!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos