Offline ArcGIS Field Maps cannot collect any data

01-29-2021 11:07 AM
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi, I created a simple web map with some simple points, lines, and polygons, to collect in ArcGIS Field Maps. I have allowed for offline mapping in every instance that I could in the settings of the map and feature layer. I have pre-made basemap areas to download too:

AdrianWelsh_0-1611947037839.png

But, to test this on my Andoid phone (Samsung Galaxy S10), opened Field Maps, downloaded my offline basemap, then disabled my WiFi and data connection. I could open the map but there is no basemap. I could start to collect a point and take a photo but when I go to submit it, I get the error of:

"Your feature couldn't be saved". What else do I need to do to get these maps working in the field offline?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AdrianWelsh ,

What basemap are you using for this Web Map? In the Manage Areas screen, do you see a size for the basemap layer (and what is it)? Sometimes we see this error when you are trying to edit outside the extent of an offline area.

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Colin,

Thanks for responding. I am using the Esri world imagery hybrid. I have several areas in my manage areas screen and they do have a size for the basemap layers. One of my areas is around 120 MB total:

AdrianWelsh_0-1611982680773.png

In an area I made today for testing near my office, I made sure the extent of it encompassed my office, so I was not editing outside of the downloaded basemap (but I did not see the basemap at all). 

I loaded the same map in Collector and took the map offline and it seemed to work as expected in Collector. 

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for the details. Its interesting that it works in Collector and not Field Maps. The size of the World_Imagery basemap layer in your screenshot seems suspicious. Typically the size of this layer would be 2-20mb depending on the scale selected. What scale range are you using when creating the areas? I tried setting the same basemap in a test map, created some areas, and all of them download with the basemap. Have you tried another map (you would have to recreate the areas)?

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I have not tried another basemap but I need the aerial imagery for the ground truthing (though, I suppose I could choose just the imagery instead of the imagery hybrid). For the scale, I want my users to be able to zoom in as far as they can so I choose "Room" as the lowest level. Since I got hit with size restrictions, I could not make my image scale that wide, so it was something like this:

AdrianWelsh_0-1612275507541.png

(though, I do not really remember, it could have been smaller like "Rooms to Room"). I suppose the vector part of the hybrid is what is eating up my space! It looks like to try another basemap, I have to go into my web map and save it again with a new map as my default basemap, then I can try to save it again. I may try that later to see how it goes.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

It may be that you are not zooming in enough to view the available tiles given that they are only available at such a restricted level. Collector and Field Maps do use basemap overzoom where you can zoom in past the available scale level so the room and smaller scales are not always necessary; you just may not have the highest resolution view of the imagery in this case. 

If you dont want to try another basemap, try making another area with the levels neighborhood-small building, for example. You may have to cut down on your study area as you mentioned. It does appear that something went wrong in the generating of the areas at the scales you selected.

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos