Next Android app update?

03-20-2021 05:05 PM
BryceChristie
New Contributor II

When is the next update for the Android app going to occur?

There are a couple of bugs that are occurring for me and my field workers using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 T515 on Android OS version 11. Using version 20.2.0 of Field Maps.

Freezing occurring when streaming line data for more than 30 km's of streamed line data. App freezes then has to be forced closed and data is lost in the process.

Sync'ing hanging and freezing the app, force close to get out of the app.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @BryceChristie ,

Are you still having issues with the app freezing while streaming? Have you seen this on other devices? I see you mention syncing, I assume this means that you are attempting to stream this collection in an offline map? If you are using auto-sync, can you try toggling this off from the app settings?

I am attempting to see if I can reproduce this. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
BryceChristie
New Contributor II

Yes this issue is still occurring in version 21.1.0. Using offline maps, auto-sync is turned off.

I have a group of field workers that have been experiencing consistent freezing and crashing of the latest version of Field Maps for Android. It is occurring around the 30km to 40km mark of streaming collection of line data, streaming distance set at 2m or 3m (driving at say 30-40 km/hr). It is also occurring when they are driving much slower on more difficult tracks. It seems as if the app struggles to process lines once a set amount of vertices are created on a line feature.

This issue is not occurring for those users on iOS. Once the app freezes, sometimes after 30 mins the app will unfreeze and they are able to continue, but in most occasions the app crashes and they lose all of that line data.

Is this a known bug in the app for Android?

They are running...
Version Field Maps: 21.1.0
Hardware: Samsung Tab A 10.1 T515 (32gb, 2 GB RAM) - Wifi + Cellular

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@BryceChristie we have been able to reproduce this and have an issue logged to investigate. We hope to have a fix for this later this year (likely wont be in our June release coming up). We have found increasing the streaming distance (or time parameter) and/or periodically bringing the app to the foreground can help avoid the freezing up. 

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
BryceChristie
New Contributor II

@ColinLawrence 

Thank you for investigating Colin. Changing the streaming distance hasn't made much of a difference to stopping the issue from happening - it continues to persist, unfortunately we cannot push the streaming distance out beyond 5m as this affects the quality of the resulting track line data in instances where tracks are winding and tight and we lose that definition.

Bringing the app to foreground has little effect also (we have screen timeout on tablet set to 30 mins which results in the screen almost always on and app is in the foreground with no app running in the background).

A bug fix for the next release would be greatly appreciated as we are losing 1000's of km's of track line data with this issue persisting every month.

0 Kudos