Select to view content in your preferred language

Need to create new line by tracing over existing line feature

Wednesday
Caitlin_Todd_LCOR
Regular Contributor

Hi all, 

I've received a request to investigate the possibility of using FieldMaps to collect locations of invasive plant species along the road right-of-way. Field staff will be needing to collect linear features to represent the spread of the invasive plant along the road. 

Does ArcGIS FieldMaps have the capability to create a new line by tracing over an existing line in another layer? If so, could it work offline as well? If not, is it on the roadmap for the near future?

Our road network contains several vertices within each line so snapping may not be a good option for this use case. 

Thanks, 

Caitlin 

Lane County GIS

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

This isn't really what you're asking for and might not meet your requirements, but have you tried using QuickCapture to capture linear features?  I've found it works really well for similar workflows, provided your field crews will be walking the locations.  You can set it up so they press a button to start capturing a line, then they just walk, press a button to stop capturing a line, there's your polyline.  Intermediate vertices are captured every 5 or 10 seconds I believe.  You could set up one button per invasive species (provided your species number isn't too high), and it can even capture multiple lines simultaneously - you can start and stop different buttons at different times.

Caitlin_Todd_LCOR
Regular Contributor

That's a good idea, but unfortunately there will be times where crews will be driving the distance due to plants spreading out over a mile over more. It would also need to match the road shape exactly since our organization uses a linear reference system based on our road mileposts.

I believe we're looking to track a couple dozen different species. But I've been told that the list is subject to change.

But I can add QuickCapture to the table as an option. 

Thanks!

Caitlin

0 Kudos
ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Frequent Contributor

When I have to deal with situations like this, I general let the crews record lines or points and then use scripting to post process the data and snap it to the actual geometry of the network.

so not real time in the field, but requires less work on the field side. as MobiousSnake mentioned, quick capture is good for roadside surveys like this. Combine that with some scripted post processing and it's a pretty reliable way to record such data.