Mobile Map Packages Crash in Field Maps (Android)

07-21-2021 12:05 PM
KevinMorris2
New Contributor III

I recently decided to remove the Explorer App from our Android tablets and smart phones and utilize Field Maps for reviewing Mobile Map Packages. Unfortunately, in all cases with the available build for Field Maps (7/21/2021), Mobile Map Packages crash Field Maps. In some cases Field Maps just blips out when you activate it, in other cases (tablets in particular), the map package will load and function ok for a while unless the user tries to navigate or pan the window just after opening the mobile map package.

At this junction, we have discontinued use of Field Maps for Mobile Map Packages and reverted back to the Explorer App (Android). This issues has not been tested for iOS.

14 Replies
KevinKovacs
New Contributor III

Some of my users have noticed the same crashing problem, but only with side loaded MMPKs.  This may not be a solution for all, but we've found that loading the MMPK to ArcGIS Online and sharing them to users solved the crashing problem.  The maps perform as expected once they are downloaded to the device.

KevinMorris2
New Contributor III

Thank you KevinKovacs,

Uploading the mobile map package to AGOL and having users download it did work. While this solution will fulfill most of our needs, it definitely appears to be a bug for sideloading. The major issue with this approach is that I cannot perform the seasonal data load on numerous tablets as it will require user credentials and the mobile package will likely be locked to the user that downloads (unconfirmed).

0 Kudos
rescuemap
New Contributor III

This is only working for me on iOS (pulling the map package from AGOL). On android I am able to see and download the package but when it gets to 100% it reverts back to the download button and won't open. Nothing in the logs via troubleshooting of course.

0 Kudos
rescuemap
New Contributor III

I did miss this first time around, so thanks for a workaround. However, our sideloaded maps are 2GB+ which makes this an issue that doesn't need to be there. Not sure how this made this through QA as it seems like a very common workflow.

bdewaele
New Contributor

The value of MMPK files was in the sideloading of potentially huge files with lots of data, which would be impractical in areas with poor network coverage. ESRI does not cater well for those situations, and assumes we all have lightning fast internet access, which for me as a geologist working in remote areasa nd in remote camps with slower internet is frustrating. I sometimes yearn back to the good old ArcPAD days, where disconnected editing to a laptop project was a possibility. It now all has to go through a Server license, which is simply impractical and an inefficient use of software licenses. 

JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

Any solution to this yet? I hope this is not a strategy form ESRI to force its users to consume credits by having to upload huge mmpks to AGOL

rescuemap
New Contributor III

Agree - this is mission critical for our organization of first responders - we almost always work in a disconnected environment. We currently have no offline maps! Not good and does not inspire confidence in the technology. 

rescuemap
New Contributor III

Same issue here on CATS61 and Pixel 2. No issues before, sideloaded mmpks now crash the application and nothing showing up in the troubleshooting logs. I noticed one of our devices was an older app version and had no issues so definitely something with an esri update. Please fix asap. 

0 Kudos
rescuemap
New Contributor III

This is now a big problem for us. I remade the mmpk with ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3, including remaking all locators in an attempt to troubleshoot this issue, I also reduced the size substantially by removing all imagery. As reported above I was able to load the mmpk via ArcGIS online and open it in Field Maps successfully, but this only works with the newly created file. When I try and load my original 2+GB mmpk by this method it crashes field maps. I consider this to be a temporary workaround as in the event that a login is forced when in a disconnected environment, you are not able to load that mmpk by skipping logging in - it does not appear in the map list unlike the sideloaded mmpk which is always available, regardless of login status (this was created using the publisher extension and set up anonymously). There is nothing about this in the logs and it appears only android has this issue.