Help needed populating Web Map for Field Maps with Feature Service Layers. Field Maps Log shows "Feature Tiling Disabled" after every map load.

05-25-2022 06:44 AM
CPerry
by
New Contributor II

Hopefully someone may be able to shed light on an issue we are having deploying Field Maps within our organization.

I am not the GIS coordinator for my organization, but I have their endorsement and have been expanding my ARC knowledge and access as we try to deploy Field Maps as a tool for a Utility Department.

We have created a web map in ARC Online using an editable feature service that houses utility layers. This field map, when displayed in the field maps web app, shows these feature service layers synced and functioning properly. Same when the web map is displayed in ARC map viewer.

When this web map is loaded to The Field Maps mobile app on either ios or android, many of these feature service layers "fail to load." When we reload the map, often the layers that failed to load will flip with the layers that previously loaded. For example, layers x y and z, will fail to load while a b and c work well. Reloading the map will cause the exact opposite to happen.

We have tried this on ipad, iphone, and android phone. We have tried eliminating non essential layers from the web map. We have tried over LTE, wifi, VPN to our organization servers on, VPN off. Our GIS coordinator has tried tweaking the feature service layers. Nothing has got rid of this issue. We are feeling quite comfortable with everything else. We have successfully demonstrated the ability to use field maps mobile app to edit location and attributes of feature service layers. Those edits then showed up instantaneously in our organization's master GIS data. Only, we can't get ALL the layers to ever show up on the web map. Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JustinReynolds
Occasional Contributor III

Have you tried looking at the logs in field maps mobile? You might need to enable logging in the field maps troubleshooting settings.  Then open the map on your mobile device and let the map load.  Then go back to your logs and see if it sheds any light on what may be happening.

- Justin Reynolds, PE
0 Kudos
CPerry
by
New Contributor II

Thanks Justin,

Great suggestion. It looks like I am getting a "Feature Tiling Disabled" message or two following GPS Data Source starting. Any thoughts? I've included screen shots and will now search for "Feature Tiling Disable" solutions. 

JustinReynolds
Occasional Contributor III

You know I'm not sure.  Two for two though (2 layers won't load and 2 messages about "feature Tiling Disabled").  So it could be something or nothing, but thought it might give you some insight.  If you feel that this might be the issue, you can try editing the title of this post to see if it shakes a few more trees.

Many of the messages that show up there probably don't mean much is wrong. I'm sure they have logging levels, but I don't know what that looks like.  It would be nice if they were prefixed with INFO, WARNING, ERROR.

Good luck

- Justin Reynolds, PE
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@CPerry  When you experience a layer failing to load, you can tap on the error icon in the layers panel and then share the specific error that is causing it. That should help narrow down the issue.

AaronPulver_0-1653660075427.png

The "Feature Tiling Disabled" log message is expected, this is basically an informational message saying that Field Maps is requesting the non-generalized geometry of all the features, this is so that editing and snapping are accurate. Feature tiling is a way that apps query feature layers using a grid pattern to improve performance, it can result in generalized features being returned (which is generally is fine for visualization).

CPerry
by
New Contributor II

Hi Aaron,

Thanks! Great call. Below is the error info:

Domain: com.esri.arcgis.runtime.error

Code: 3079

Description: Domain exists.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There's a support article with suggestions for this specific error: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000020922

0 Kudos
CPerry
by
New Contributor II

Awesome. Thanks Aaron!

0 Kudos