Global ID and GUID

Jump to solution
03-04-2022 05:50 AM
Shawnzeecatz
New Contributor II

I am trying to set-up Field Maps for field inspections on some of our utility features.

I have a 1 to many relationship class and I am using a Global ID in my featureclass and a GUID in my related table.

I was trying to test the relationship in ArcPro and I saw that the Global ID didn't automatically copy over to the related table. Is this supposed to copy over automatically?

Will Field Maps copy over the Global ID to the GUID automatically?

I can't find any mention of this anywhere and would like to know before I spend more time setting up Field Maps.

Thank you

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nspittlemeister_LCFPD
Occasional Contributor

Yes, the GlobalID does get copied over to the GUID field automatically using field maps. Ensure that you have a relationship set up between the feature class and the related table and that the GlobalID field is the primary key and that the GUID field is the foreign key.  You can find more information and instructions on setting the relationship class up here: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000015422.

Nick

View solution in original post

6 Replies
nspittlemeister_LCFPD
Occasional Contributor

Yes, the GlobalID does get copied over to the GUID field automatically using field maps. Ensure that you have a relationship set up between the feature class and the related table and that the GlobalID field is the primary key and that the GUID field is the foreign key.  You can find more information and instructions on setting the relationship class up here: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000015422.

Nick

VGalindo
New Contributor II

I did this and the GUID field was not populated. I cannot get this to work

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would suggest not using GlobalID at all.  See this post for more  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-collector-questions/related-tables-for-offline-data-collection/... 

0 Kudos
LisaRockwell1
New Contributor

Doug, I've followed your links and I'm wondering if you would still say this. I have 2 projects: one in field maps and one in Survey123. Both have many tables populated with data that need to be involved in the surveys with nested repeats. Is there any way I can just use unique readable text ID's or do I HAVE to update all my primary keys to Global ID's?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What I do is both.  I leave the 123 parentglobalid fields alone but then add a second relate with friendly keys that I manage myself using a calculate to grab the key from the parent in each repeat.  Works well if the user messes up I can still find them using globalid and going forward I can use the friendly keys if the data ever moves.

Hope that makes sense.

0 Kudos
FionaRenton1
Occasional Contributor II

I found this ESRI Ireland video to be really helpfu when creating new data, but does not help if you have existing related data. Designing Related Records in ArcGIS Pro for use in ArcGIS Online - YouTube