Select to view content in your preferred language

Field maps will not load completely into iOS (iPad Pro) while online. Is there a memory limit?

04-19-2022 04:33 AM
ChrisScharrer
Emerging Contributor

Field maps won't completely load into iOS (iPad pro) but works fine with android Galaxy 7.  It seemed to work fine until I tried setting it up for Offline, but I had layers that were not syncable.  Seemed to corrupt the whole project and up having to rebuild it.  Now it will not load, even while online completely on the iPad Pros.  The project works fine on the Galaxy 7 Android, and even keeps up as long as I have a good cellular connection in the field, but the iPads stop loading after a few second while on the home network.  Leave them set for an hour, they slowly fill in, but still never completely.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RobertBorchert
Honored Contributor

how much free space do you have on your device

0 Kudos
ChrisScharrer
Emerging Contributor

The iPad is 512 GB with 26.1 GB used, and the Galaxy is 128 GB with 37.4 GB used.  Doesn't make sense why the iPad wouldn't have room.  I don't find any memory management relative to the Field Maps app on the iPad either.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Honored Contributor

What iOS version is your iPad?

Are you able to update Field Maps to version 22.1.0  Build 690

For clarification are you saying you cannot load Field Maps on your iPad or you cannot open a web app using Field Maps on your iPad

0 Kudos
ChrisScharrer
Emerging Contributor

iOS is 15.3.1 but it wants to upgrade to 15.4.1, which I will let it do tonight.  Field Maps is at version 22.1.0 build 690.  Field maps loads fine on the iPad, but the project maps will not load completely.  They start, but then stop loading the detail.  The Android Galaxy loads the entire project in Field Maps.

0 Kudos
LindsayKing1
Regular Contributor

We have also run into this issue in my organization.  Our field officers are using iPads and have noticed that maps in Field Maps are not loading correctly on their iPads.  They are not creating offline maps, but rather are simply loading maps using their cellular connection in the field.  This workflow used to work fine no problem (for the past 1.5 years), but suddenly in the last week or so, the maps only partially load.  We've run some experiments by simply loading the maps and waiting to see how long it takes them to load completely, and we're seeing the maps now take 40-50 minutes to load.

It is a problem because we have a point layer that the officers use to determine where to conduct inspections, so when that point layer does not load completely, they miss areas that should be inspected.  Here are the specs of the iPads they are using:

iOS: 15.3.1 and 15.1
Field Maps: 22.1.0

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Honored Contributor

iOS is up to 15.4.1 but that should not make any difference. Though sometimes iOS does not allow older versions of  software to work.  But not your issue either. 

AGOL or Portal?

Have them try a speed test in the field.  What are your phones pulling.   2g, 3g, 4g, 5g

We are in the process of replacing all of our vehicle tracking modems because they are all 2g.  In part of the country more and more cell towers are being upgraded to 5g and that could be a factor

I know on computers having less than 15% HDD/SSD space can be an issue.

My strongest speculation would be that something is wrong with your web map or the server that is pushing it. We are on Portal so we have a good handle on our end. Harder to speculate with AGOL.

By any chance did your company change their data plan to slow down data after you reach the limit.

I would also try taking your phone to a place where you have good Wi-Fi. Turn off data and see if you have the same problem.

How old are your iPads?  I doubt if that would be an issue unless your iPads won't let you upgrade to a newer version.  Popular rumor has it that Apple degrades the functionality of their devices after a certain time frame. 

0 Kudos
Aaron_Sutton
Emerging Contributor

My client started having this issue after Field Maps was working fine, then it just failed to load the maps. Has there been any progress to identify the problem?

0 Kudos