Field Maps streaming causing crash

06-12-2023 08:06 AM
NR-AnnaRiveraRoyGISS-T
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have been having an issue with streaming to collect polygon features in the Field Maps app on my Samsung Galaxy ActiveTab3 (Android version 13). Usually after about 20 seconds or so, Field Maps closes out (but still seems to be running), and streaming stops and nothing from it is saved. I have tried reinstalling the app, signing out and back in, and redownloading my offline areas. Has anyone experienced this and come up with some sort of solution?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
KathleenCSki
New Contributor III

Have you tried downloading offline map area and collecting the polygons off line?
Could be weak signal strength or some security setting that is limiting connection time to a cetain number of minutes connected.

0 Kudos
NR-AnnaRiveraRoyGISS-T
New Contributor II

Yes, I should have specified. All of this is happening when I am offline using an offline map area.

0 Kudos
KCarlson
New Contributor

I am having the same issue, but with streaming GPS tracks. Field Maps screen blacks out/closes (but still appears to be running), and nothing is saved. Two new Samsung TabActive 3 tablets (Android version 13) have this issue, but two older Samsung TabActive 2 tablets (Android version 9) seem to be streaming GPS tracks fine. All tablets have Field Maps version 23.1.1 (Build 1405). Same as above, the issue is occurring when offline using offline map areas.

0 Kudos
NR-AnnaRiveraRoyGISS-T
New Contributor II

That's a good point--I end up using my phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE, with the same version of Field Maps as my tablet (23.1.1 Build 1405), and it works just fine. We also have two older Samsung tablets working with older versions of Field Maps that are functioning as they should.

0 Kudos
Eneymark
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. I tried to fix the issue  by running a software update on my Android Devices and updated Field Maps to App version 23.2.0 Build 1440. This did not resolve the crashing. This has been occurring for the last few weeks on all of my Galaxy Tab Active3 devices. As stated above, the crash occurs when using offline map areas.

0 Kudos
FMGLGIS
New Contributor III

We are encountering the same issue as above with 20-30 of our Active Tab 3s, we run the streaming on other devices for the same segment, same capture settings and feature service all other devices work without crashing. Reports are that 100m of streaming at 10m streaming intervals causes the crash condition. We're doing further tests.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Can those experiencing this issue confirm they are still seeing the crashing? I tracked down a Tab Active 3 in order to test this and have been unable to reproduce a crash. I tried replicating the same settings reported in the BUG (10 meter streaming interval - crashing around 100m distance of streaming) but I cannot replicate the crash. Given the amount of reports it must not be specific to the data or the Web Map. It does appear to be specific to offline maps although if someone is seeing this while using the online version of the map please confirm. 

My Tab Active 3 is running Android 13 and I have successfully streamed numerous line segments over 500+ meters on Field Maps 23.2.1. I am looking for ay other helpful details so we can get to the bottom of this. Thank you.

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @ColinLawrence 

I'm getting reports from field staff about the same issues. All have Active Tab 3 with Android 13 and Field Maps 23.3.0. The reports I'm receiving are for both GPS averaging and line streaming. I'm trying to gather more details metrics so please let me know if you are looking for any specifics.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @ZacharyHart , is it possible to share one of the Maps/data that is being used when the crash occurs? If using ArcGIS Online you can share the map(s) and relevant data to a Group and invite the user "arcgisfieldmaps" to the Group so I can access the data. I have been unsuccessful in reproducing this problem with the various sample datasets I typically use. 

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos