Field Maps Collection Settings BMP

02-08-2021 10:28 AM
MatthewKing
Occasional Contributor II

Hi.  Our group has Field Maps on a Trimble TDC600 and I was wondering what settings in the Collection menu folks are using, specifically the Accuracy, GPS Averaging, Streaming and Snapping options.  Thanks in advance!

fieldmaps.jpg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @MatthewKing ,

When it comes to the configuration of the Collection settings within Field Maps, generally these are driven per the workflow being performed in the field. For example, some organizations may require averaging to be enabled at a certain amount of positions, or they require a minimum level of required accuracy to be achieved by the GNSS receiver before being able to capture features, etc. 

- Were there any specific questions you had regarding these Collection settings for the TDC600?

- Would you be able to share some information regarding your workflow being done in the field?

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
MatthewKing

Thanks @KevinBurke for replying.

No workflow per se.  Staff uses it for the most part for random incidental observations while working out in the field (natural areas land management).  Specifically I'm wondering about the GPS Averaging & Streaming settings and trying to find the right balance between accuracy and time.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @MatthewKing 

When you say "...trying to find the right balance between accuracy and time." would you be able to elaborate on what your concern is with these settings?

Are you trying to determine how many positions should be averaged?

Similarly for Streaming, are you trying to determine which time interval to set? i.e. 1 sec, 5 sec, etc. 

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
MatthewKing

Correct in that I'm trying to gauge if there's some kind of consensus here in the geonet community for those two settings (GPS Averaging & Streaming interval (time or distance)).  Granted doing 5 point averaging vs 0 points isn't a big difference in time and can only help, but maybe there are folks here who have seen better results using some other interval and anything past that isn't worth it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos