Do geofences only work on existing features?

Jump to solution
01-31-2023 08:19 AM
SarahKendell
New Contributor III

Hello - I would like to use a geofence in Field Maps to alert users they have strayed too far from a path/line. I have set a geofence in Field Maps on an editable line feature. However, when a user creates a line feature in the field using the app, the geofence does not seem to work? Does a geofence only work on existing features? Does it need to be synced in order to take effect?

My goal is to have the user snap a new line feature between 2 existing points, then traverse that line, getting alerts when they've gone too far off the their path. 

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PiyaliKundu2
Esri Contributor

Hi @SarahKendell -- Geofences are created when you first open the map or create the map area and enable Location Alerts/Location Sharing. The geofences are based off the current features (as defined in the Geofences configuration in Field Maps Designer). If you want to activate geofences off newly created features, then you will need to disable/re-enable Location Alerts. You can do so from the GPS Details bar located towards the top of your map. Tap the GPS Details bar, disable the Location Alerts switch, then switch it back on, and in the "Map Requires Location Alerts" dialog pane select "Turn on".

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PiyaliKundu2
Esri Contributor

Hi @SarahKendell -- Geofences are created when you first open the map or create the map area and enable Location Alerts/Location Sharing. The geofences are based off the current features (as defined in the Geofences configuration in Field Maps Designer). If you want to activate geofences off newly created features, then you will need to disable/re-enable Location Alerts. You can do so from the GPS Details bar located towards the top of your map. Tap the GPS Details bar, disable the Location Alerts switch, then switch it back on, and in the "Map Requires Location Alerts" dialog pane select "Turn on".

SarahKendell
New Contributor III

Thank you for this information! 

0 Kudos