Capturing Location via Screen Touch

12-14-2020 12:44 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

For several years now, we have been using ArcGIS desktop to conduct aerial surveys of wildlife and are evaluating Field Maps as a potential replacement solution. The main barrier I'm seeing is that the observer cannot capture the location and launch the form by touching directly on the animal's location on the map. The observer would rarely have time to do the Update Point task. See the attached image for an example. Perhaps I'm just missing it. Please direct me to it or to where I can request it. Thanks much.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for posting @Anonymous User. 

I think we might need more information about your workflow, but there are 2 primary ways that you can capture a new feature in Field Map:
1. Tap the Add button that is on top of the map.
2. Long press on the map so that it drops a pin where you want to capture the observation and then tap "Collect Here".

If you are wanting to touch the map at the location of where the observation should be captured, this second method may address your needs? If not, can you please provide some more information? 

Thanks.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I see that now. Thanks. Is it possible to customize the popup so the user is only seeing what we want them to see? E.g. "Collect Here"?
Bob
0 Kudos
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Not quite yet. We do have plans to let you customize the app capabilities, for each individual map, using the Field Maps web app.

For a dropped pin, were you wanting to remove the other tools (Directions, Compass, Add to My Places)?

Jeff

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes. We are reviewing Field Maps as the potential 4th iteration (ArcView, MapObjects Lite, ArcMap so far) of something that we developed in-house called DNRSurvey. We've learned over the years that restricting the functionality to just what they need to do the surveys keeps everyone happier. Thanks for the continuing dialog.
Bob