Best way to add attachments to a feature class that I plan to use in field maps

Jump to solution
06-06-2022 02:47 PM
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

I'm creating a feature class to load into field maps, and there are 150 existing points with a pdf for each that I would like to attach before I publish the data.

Then once it is published I would like the field staff to be able to add additional attachments too.

What is the best way to add attachments to a feature class if I plan to use the data in field maps?

I was looking at the documentation below, and was considering putting the attachments into a match table. They are currently just pdf's in a folder but I have a source table I could use and could join it to my feature class by the permit numbers.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.8/tool-reference/data-management/working-with-the-attachments-ge...

Is there a better way to go about doing this so it will function best in field maps?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

Hi Lorraine

One of our clients had a "similar" issue even though they were using Survey123 with existing pre-loaded data and wanted to use the Feature Report functionality. Turns out that you need to pay close attention to the tags ATT_NAME and KEYWORDS if you plan to use the Feature Reports with the existing data.

I ended up using Python to create the Match Table CSV file and then importing those attachments with the AddAttachments_management function in Python.

That seemed like the "correct" way to do it and then just making sure the keywords and attachment names were correct according to the question names.

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000027056

Not sure if this is relevant to your scenario but could be good to keep in mind, just in case.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

Hi Lorraine

One of our clients had a "similar" issue even though they were using Survey123 with existing pre-loaded data and wanted to use the Feature Report functionality. Turns out that you need to pay close attention to the tags ATT_NAME and KEYWORDS if you plan to use the Feature Reports with the existing data.

I ended up using Python to create the Match Table CSV file and then importing those attachments with the AddAttachments_management function in Python.

That seemed like the "correct" way to do it and then just making sure the keywords and attachment names were correct according to the question names.

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000027056

Not sure if this is relevant to your scenario but could be good to keep in mind, just in case.

Regards

0 Kudos
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Deon,

Would the python query work the same as the geoprocessing tools? I tested it out using these geoprocessing tools in Arc Pro:

• Enable Attachments
  • Generate Attachment Match Table
  • Add Attachments

I didn't see a place to add keywords using the geoprocessing tools, so maybe this way won't work and I will need to use python.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it! 

Lorraine

0 Kudos