Select to view content in your preferred language

Automatically store UTM coordinates of a point

04-26-2023 02:43 AM
AntonioPatera
New Contributor II

Hello. I am a Survey123 user and I would like to switch to Field Maps. Unfortunately, at least this is my impression, the documentation currently available is unclear or partial. For me, who is not a programmer, it is not easy to understand what needs to be done and how to do it. For example, in the article Common calculated expressions for ArcGIS Field Maps - Point 5, I read that it is possible to store the coordinate values of a point. So far so good. I followed the instructions and now I have two fields with the coordinates of our AGOL feature layer. Only that the coordinates are logically those of the map that uses the WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) system, while I need them in the WGS 1984 UTM Zone 33 system. In the example that calculates latitude and longitude coordinates, there is a script that I think can be modified to calculate coordinates in the system I need. But first of all, where does the script go? How do you tell it to write values in two specific fields? How should the script be modified to use my reference system? Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

I was hoping to do this with Arcade and

Geometry($feature).X

But, even though this "looks" like it will get the geometry of the feature, it actually gets the geometry of the feature location in the basemap. In other words, even this will produce coordinates of the basemap system regardless of what the data is in.

Seems I remember a basic script out there to convert to WGS84, but not to a projected CS.

The only way I have found to accomplish this is to create my own basemaps in the coordinate system of my data, and use these basemaps in the map viewers.

Then, if I have two fields   (X,Y), I can have the Field Maps form calculate the X and Y of each feature using the above Geometry functions.

R_

AntonioPatera
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will try it next week and keep you informed. 🙏

0 Kudos