Adding 1000 features at once to a Field Maps layer

Jump to solution
06-09-2022 03:58 PM
GroundworkORVGIS
New Contributor II

I work for a nonprofit that plants trees around the city. We keep track of the number of trees planted because we are focusing on increasing the tree canopy in the city.

A while ago one of our crews planted 1000 seedlings in one day. Adding all these trees to a point feature class would be time consuming, so I am trying to find a better way to add these trees to the point feature layer on field maps. Is there a way to add many features at once to Field Maps at once? I'm thinking Python might work, but I'm not sure.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
e_mcc
by
New Contributor II

Have you tried to update the layer in AGOL?

go to the hosted feature layer, then select "update data", upload the 1000 new points, map the fields and then update.

e_mcc_0-1654817363328.png

Note: always take a backup from your map service/FS before updating it.

Cheers,

E.

View solution in original post

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Are you trying to place the trees using Field Maps or ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?

It would be easier if you use Pro or ArcMAP

Place 20 trees by hand copy and paste you now have 40 copy past you now have 80 copy paste you now have 160 etc etc.

Or in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro there is a tool called Create Random Points.   The points can be constrained to a polygon that you have selected.  

The below example is a polygon I drew, selected, and then ran the Create Random Points tool.  I selected 1000 as the number

RobertBorchert_0-1655123308150.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies
e_mcc
by
New Contributor II

Have you tried to update the layer in AGOL?

go to the hosted feature layer, then select "update data", upload the 1000 new points, map the fields and then update.

e_mcc_0-1654817363328.png

Note: always take a backup from your map service/FS before updating it.

Cheers,

E.

GroundworkORVGIS
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. I forgot that I posted this question. What you suggested worked very well.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Are you trying to place the trees using Field Maps or ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?

It would be easier if you use Pro or ArcMAP

Place 20 trees by hand copy and paste you now have 40 copy past you now have 80 copy paste you now have 160 etc etc.

Or in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro there is a tool called Create Random Points.   The points can be constrained to a polygon that you have selected.  

The below example is a polygon I drew, selected, and then ran the Create Random Points tool.  I selected 1000 as the number

RobertBorchert_0-1655123308150.png

GroundworkORVGIS
New Contributor II

I ended up using the Create random points tool after I drew a polygon in the area where the trees were planted while I had the AGOL field maps collection map open in ArcGIS Pro. Then the layer automatically updated in AGOL. Thanks! Sorry about responding so late. I forgot I asked this question.

0 Kudos