Update the process to connect with an external high accuracy GPS in Field Maps to match the Collector process.

06-30-2021 10:24 AM
Linde_Carmack
Occasional Contributor

The steps required to utilize a high accuracy external GPS with Field Maps are significantly more complicated than in Collector.

We use Trimble R1 pucks and with Collector no third party app was required. We could connect to the puck and set all configurations directly within Collector settings.

In Field Maps, we are back to having to use a third party app (Trimble Mobile Manager) in addition to the Field Maps settings. This is a significantly more cumbersome workflow for users, and increases the likelihood that a mistake is made during set up leading to incorrectly collected data.

It would be great for us if the Collector connection workflow was migrated to Field Maps.

13 Comments
PaulHarrison

Interesting discussion.

We run with the Trimble R2 receiver.  I set up a map when Esri was still using Collector for field mapping.  Just prior to Christmas I fired up the map for the first time in a number of months using Field Maps and everything seemed to be working as expected.  No problems with the Trimble Mobile Manager of the map I was using.

Obviously something is going on so I'd better take a closer look some time shortly before I need to use it again!  

I totally agree that what ever system we use needs to be as simple and seamless as possible.  We don't use this level of accuracy on the ground as much as we use to so every time I need to go out I'm spending time the day or two before to check and make sure everything is working properly.

Unlike our old Trimble XRS receiver that we used for 15+ years.  Flawless until the firm grades failed us.

Keen to see how this thread proceeds.

Linde_Carmack

Looked into some specific numbers and I wanted to share....

Since we deployed 2 Geodes in early March users have collected 57 data points. By comparison we have had 5 R1s deployed for years and since we made the switch to Field Maps we've only received 41 total collected points from the R1s.

We've received more data from just over a month with the Geodes than we did in over a year with double the R1s. So the positive feedback we've heard from users is backed up by the productivity in data collection.

RobbHodges

We've run into this issue as well. We use multiple R2s as well as EOS Arrow devices. Both require a separate app. I can't tell you how many times users get logged out of one (not knowing). They don't understand why their accuracy is bad and just go on with their regular business with that bad accuracy.

In the past month, I've had to go onsite 5 or 6 times to troubleshoot those 3rd party apps. Sometimes it's as simple as logging in, while other times it takes troubleshooting that the field crews would have never figured out. I'm getting increasingly sour with the entire process. It was so much easier with collector.