Select to view content in your preferred language

Improve maintenance of offline webmaps and featurelayers: inform and force users to sync

08-22-2022 04:25 AM
Labels (2)
schenardi
Regular Contributor

The only way to update datamodels or even re-publish a featurelayer is to disable the sync-capability with the consequnce that users are not able to sync with existing offline copies.

For maintenance in offline workflows it's important that at a certain point every offline-replica is replicated to online and no changes are staying offline.

To achieve a really useful workflow it needs several improvements:

• A process that forces the users to not starting to work offline after they successfully synced their work (with information in the applications etc).
  • An overview for the administrator (owner) of still existing offline copies that did not yet sync (after the admin forced to do it)
  • Or: a mechanism that allows "old" local replicas to still being synced or a least transfered back to the owner in case of malfunctionality during replication

Tags (3)
2 Comments
Jeremy_Z

This would be a great improvement. Too many times I've had to notify folks for weeks to sync their offline areas and then find out after I make changes that they didn't do it, and data was lost or painful to get back from the onboard database.

Being able to push official notifications to their devices to remind them or force a sync when connected would be great.

LaurenFrick_RES

I would add that if a user has an old version of an offline area saved on their device, and a new version of the offline area becomes available, they should be forced to download the new version before they collect new data.