Enable touch to enter vertices

04-06-2021 09:13 AM
LynnOvertree1
New Contributor II

The circle target system for entering points is cumbersome. Can you add a simple touch-to-enter vertex option? The Collector Classic for Android has the system that is optimal.

Classic Collector for Android had a much easier method for adding each vertex than the target circle system used in the iphone version. My team used iphones mostly, so they relied on me to enter polygons on my Android phone because it was so much quicker and easier.

Now the new Collector version and the Field Maps changed to the target method for Android phones. Much more time-consuming and clunky to use. Please go back to the simple touch to add or drag a point method that was used earlier.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
13 Comments
GIS_MJ
by

We would really appreciate it if ESRI would implement this

sdegroot

Completely agree that moving the map and tapping to add a point is much more cumbersome than the tap to add a vertex method of Collector Classic. This applies to adding any points, lines, or polygons, and also just to measuring. It is just as awkward to measure this way as to add a polygon.

See also https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-ideas/more-advanced-measurement-tool/idi-p/1142370

Typically I make measurements or draw polygons with a stylus while offline, and I think this moving the map to the crosshairs is less accurate than tapping the map with a stylus. Except for perhaps the first point, I am usually not standing where I'm drawing a polygon or making a measurement.

If Collector classic still worked in later versions of Android, I would still be using it. It worked much better-- the measure tool, digitizing, and so often it would download an offline map no problem, while Field Maps too often tells me, "The map failed to download".

AdrianaDelucchi

I fully support as well. We use the app to collection point data instead of polygon, but the same comments apply. While I see how the crosshairs method that FieldMaps utilizes has its pros, the 'tap' method that ArcClassic was much efficient for our data collection needs. So much so, that we avoided switching from ArcClassic to field maps until 4 moths ago. The option to go back to the 'tap' method would be greatly appreciated!