Select to view content in your preferred language

Allow Select Multiple Questions in Field Maps

02-23-2021 01:25 PM
RogerCleaves1
New Contributor III

We would love to be able to implement select multiple type questions in Field Maps. We currently have a use case where field staff need to select multiple types of waste found on a site and record contextual information for each one. 

This is the current design in Survey123, but we would love to migrate this all into one single app instead of using Collector for visibility in the field, and Survey for collecting the data.

Capture.PNG

42 Comments
Adam_Bourque

@Anonymous User I also would like to see this feature implemented as many are improving their workflow designs following the 2023 New Years. 

ShaunGibbins

Yes please, same for me having to open survey123 from field maps for this sort of thing is far from ideal especially in a disconnected environment, field maps works really well offline with a map tpk file on the device but we have found when opening a record in survey123 from field maps it clears the inbox if you had taken everything offline in survey123 too so you can then only use survey123 when you have a signal. 

Our workflows are map centric so require field workers to start with records displayed on a map, I have never understood why survey123 gets all the form love.

MeghanBlair

This feature is vital for invasive species management, where more than one species is treated at a time. Please make it a priority.

AlexBell101

This is fundamental to the business area I am working with also, workarounds are fine but more time consuming for the user. 

lhendricks

Hey Esri, another vote for adding select multiple functionality to Field Maps. I would far rather do some wrangling on the backend or when analyzing my data than have users need to answer multiple questions. A single select multiple question would be a much cleaner user experience and make data collection more likely to happen completely and properly! It also looks nicer to have everything collected in Field Maps as opposed to having to link to Survey123. 

ALBJORGUI

How is it possible that after more than a year and so many people asking for this functionality, ESRI keeps ignoring users?

I understand there might be business reasons behind because to me it feels more like, if we allow a "select multiple questions" in field maps, people will stop using surve123?

ShawnJames2

Adding another vote.  Creating multiple choice functionality is essential for our field maps workflow.  The other workarounds are too inconvenient and complicate database organization.  Multiple choice questions are a common option in nearly all surveys, and desperately need to be implemented in field maps.

Caitlin_Todd_LCOR

I would need this functionality as well. I've used the FieldMaps to Survey123 combo before, and then used Arcade to parse it out into Dashboards, but that doesn't make things easier for the field staff using the apps. They require solutions that are as simple as possible so they can focus on their work without needing to spend much time on data collection. Having multiple choices available in FieldMaps would make it much easier to increase GIS adoption in my organization. We would still be needing Survey123 for many form-centric needs where a map isn't required or wanted. 

Another point for multiple choice lists in FieldMaps is the ability to clean up our database structure. One, comma delimited field would replace several "yes/no" fields that are tedious to go through. 

Even if there are business reasons that make ESRI hesitate to implement this, it would be greatly beneficial for field staff. Survey123 is still needed and can do much more than FieldMaps. Personally I'm looking forward to when Survey123 will allow the dynamic grid style in public facing surveys. 

RishV-B

All for supporting this update!

It's about four months shy from being a 3 years Idea, and it doesn't look like ESRI is moving forward to upgrade Field Maps.

Considering that ESRI is actively promoting the Field Maps app, that tells me it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. As for Survey 123. This app is for quick surveys rather than substantial Engineering/Infrastructure data collection in the field. And both apps are well-used for different purposes.

There are still so many issues with the Filed Maps functionality, especially when it comes to the Enterprise version (We now only use app in AGOL ). I noticed that most products have "missing" needed functionalities that have been mentioned by the ESRI community for a while, but very little has been done about it.
I really hope that it is not going to be a !surprise! moment with the 3rd-party provider-collaborator involved, and end up back where we started.

AllisonTalsma

Adding another vote as this functionality would be extremely helpful for asset inspections being able to click off more than one defect in list of choice questions....