Select to view content in your preferred language

Add a filter widget to ArcGIS Field Maps

03-03-2021 06:50 AM
Rose_Geater
New Contributor II

Add a configurable filter widget to ArcGIS Field Maps, much like the filter widget in Web AppBuilder. 

ArcGIS Field Maps is commonly used where users collect additional information on, or collect a related record against an existing feature. It would be really useful to be able to filter between different attributes on those layers, e.g. for priority points. Symbolising according to the feature works only when a few distinct attributes need highlighting. For anything more, different field maps need to be created with the different filters set as default. This can lead to having to manage, maintain and download multiple maps. If the user could filter on attributes of a layer from a single map this would be really useful. 

75 Comments
JUANGARCIADELMORAL

Hi @JeffShaner. Of course I wait for the next release to test it again and send our comments. But thanks because you are clearly working on it and we believe this functionality is very useful.

TomMagdaleno

Thank you for bringing this feature.  I guess we have to wait until November to see it.  Great to hear!  I am trying to filter sewer lines that need to be cleaned either Annually, Semi Annually or Tri-annually and I have them change color or disappear based on the number of days since the last cleaning.  It looks like this will help me since I am filtering on a date field.  

Hut10
by

Was the enhancement of applying Filters within the Field Maps application implemented in last weeks release (November 10, 2022) or is this still in Beta? If it was implemented in this past release, will the filter option work if using 10.9 Enterprise or will it only work if using 11.0 Enterprise?

JustinReynolds

@Hut10 

It was released for Field Maps & ArcGIS Online.  Anything in Enterprise is pretty just a snapshot in time, containing most of the AGOL capabilities that exist prior its release... any new things that come along in AGOL won't be available until a subsequent Enterprise release.  Field Calculations never made it 10.9.1 so filtering is not likely to make it either.  Field Calculations are available in 11.0, but filtering won't make it.  If we are lucky, the latest and greatest will make into  the 11.0.1 release (hopefully coming Q4/Q1).

This doesn't mean that you can't get these things to work in Enterprise, but it is messy because you can not author this things in Enterprise.  We are on 10.9.1 and I'm using field calculations, geofencing, editable & required expressions without issue. I imagine it would work the same for filtering.  I just have to author the form and special functionality in AGOL and then inject the map json sections of interest from AGOL over to Enterprise map.  Works like a charm... but if anyone saves the map in map viewer... all of that is sterilized.

imansbburg

Has an option for this really not been implemented yet?

DougBrowning

No its there now @imansbburg .  But you must use the Field Maps web app to set which layers and fields can be filtered or you can turn all of them on.  It will not show until you go and set it.  In my testing this did not break map viewer classic.

Hut10
by

Thanks @JustinReynolds ! I spoke to ESRI and this option is currently available in AGO but will not be released in Enterprise until the 11.1 release currently scheduled for Q1 of 2023.

imansbburg

Thanks @DougBrowning. I'm having a 'TIL' moment: Today I Learned there's a web app for field apps. 

I blinked and there's a lot more web app builders in AGOL. 

TomMagdaleno

I see it doesn't work for a date field.  I'm giving up on this aspect and trying it with Experience builder.  I can get it to work on desktop but not mobile yet.