Add a filter widget to ArcGIS Field Maps

03-03-2021 06:50 AM
Rose_Geater
New Contributor II

Add a configurable filter widget to ArcGIS Field Maps, much like the filter widget in Web AppBuilder. 

ArcGIS Field Maps is commonly used where users collect additional information on, or collect a related record against an existing feature. It would be really useful to be able to filter between different attributes on those layers, e.g. for priority points. Symbolising according to the feature works only when a few distinct attributes need highlighting. For anything more, different field maps need to be created with the different filters set as default. This can lead to having to manage, maintain and download multiple maps. If the user could filter on attributes of a layer from a single map this would be really useful. 

75 Comments
RyanJalynski

This functionality would be great. We have field workers that survey electrical circuits and having the ability for the field maps user to select what circuit they want to view without me having to create a separate map for them would be incredibly helpful.

tg0047Gaunt

100% needs to be an option for any build since there is not feature parity with the web app and the collection app at present on this feature. 

kawakawa4

This would be a very useful feature, pretty much essential for my purposes.

UtilityArborist

I would like to add, that this functionality would be a huge win for utilities where they have many assets, and to be able to filter on the fly in the field would enable us to solely use field maps in the field without accompany paper maps that show only the information we need. This has been requested by many of my co-workers since using this app. 

Please add a filter to field maps. 

GayleNeufeld

@Anonymous User 

You mentioned in mid March that you were planning your Q2 work "within the next few weeks".  Since the filter by attribute functionality hasn't been moved to In Product Plan by now, should I assume this functionality hasn't been approved?  It would be helpful to know as my management team is going to be meeting about the mapping problems we have faced and decide on which alternative to use.  

Thanks,
Gayle Neufeld

by Anonymous User

@GayleNeufeld  We are planning to start this work sometime in May and complete it in phases over a few releases. Phase 1 will focus on fields with coded value domains and string/text fields. My gut feel at this time, is phase 1 will not make to the production app by our June release. Once we actually start the work, we'll move this to the "In Product Plan" phase.

GayleNeufeld

@Anonymous User

Thanks for the response.  This is good news.  Unfortunately the fields we need filtered first are numeric fields.  When do you think phase 1 will make it into an update?

RyanJalynski

@Anonymous User When this feature is added will we have to upgrade our ArcGIS Server version to use or is Field Maps the only app that will require an update?

by Anonymous User

@RyanJalynski  To take full advantage of the planned features, it will require using ArcGIS Online or a newer/future version of ArcGIS Enterprise. We are considering offering some limited filtering in the mobile app that does not require an update of ArcGIS Enterprise - TBD if we do that.

SamiHammer

Just want to add that this is a feature we really need also. We mostly use ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal), and it isn't usually the most up to date version (out of my control), so whatever functionality you are able to add without requiring an update would be hugely helpful. It's always frustrating to see functionality in AGOL that I can't access in our Portal.

One note, @Anonymous User, you indicated you'd likely be starting on this in May, at which point you would change the status "In Product Plan." But it still says "Under Consideration." Have you been able to start work on the filter function? 

I'm so glad it's something you are all planning on!