MDM for pushing mobile map package to Explorer

01-24-2020 09:35 AM
ZorbaConlen1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi. I'm interested to know if there is a way to side load a mobile map package to multiple end user devices? We use Meraki for mobile device management (MDM). It is designed to install apps, which is great, and we use it to push apps like Explorer or Collector to our field staff. Now, I'd like to push the mmpk, but Meraki does not appear to offer this capability. Googling this, I'm not really finding that other MDM software can do this either. Some have a capability to push files to devices, but they can't save the file into the app folder where it needs to go.

So, looking for advice. Have others investigated this? I'd like to load the mmpk silently, without end users having to do anything. It's usually a cluster, when non-technical field staff need to do anything beyond just using a simple app 😉

Thanks

Tags (3)
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Zorba,

> MDM for pushing mobile map package to Explorer

This is definitely not supported by Explorer for ArcGIS and not possible as far as I know. You can use MDMs to deploy the ArcGIS Field Apps, but not apply data/content to them.

FYI, please review section 3 in the ArcGIS Secure Mobile Implementation Patterns whitepaper to see what's possible with the ArcGIS Field Apps and MDM technology.

Hope this helps,

ZorbaConlen1
Occasional Contributor III

That is helpful. Thanks.

0 Kudos
PeterKing
Occasional Contributor

Hi Derek, have there been any update to the ability of MDM's to apply data/content to the app or is it in the roadmap?

I reviewed the whitepaper and technical paper  but they seem a little old and there is no mention of future development. This would be super helpful to sideload MMPKs to the apps.

TIA

KevinHofmann
New Contributor III

This would be extremely useful to have ability.  It would prevent us from having to touch every mobile device to sideload mmpk files.  

Maybe the mobile apps could be updated to allow users logged into AGE or AGOL to download the mmpk file to the app root folder so the file is available when logging in is not possible.  Currently when a user downloads the mmpk file it goes into a user name folder which will not be available if AGE or AGOL is not accessible during emergency events (Hurricanes).