Issues with Search in Explorer App

08-16-2020 01:52 PM
ElaineCollinson
New Contributor

Hello, 

I'm having search issues with the Explorer App. I've configured the Search to look up some of our asset numbers. It works in our ArcGIS Online Map when we are using a desktop computer, but it is not working in the Explorer App. When I type in an asset number it just brings up postcodes in Singapore. I'm running App version 20.2.1 and Android version 10. I've attached two images, the first is the Web map application settings showing the search by asset ID. The second is a screenshot from the Explorer App, showing an exact asset number that instead returns addresses in Singapore.

Any help would be much appreciated. This is a function our field crew need in order to find where our assets are. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Elaine Collinson‌,

Any chance you're using a .mmpk in explorer? This bug was reported recently. Let me know if this fits your use case?

BUG-000129965
- Issue
o In Explorer for ArcGIS, when searching within a downloaded mobile map package that includes a locator, no results are returned if the locator is created in ArcGIS Pro using the Create Feature Locator tool.
- Workaround
o Use the Create Address Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro instead of the Create Feature Locator tool to build locators for the mobile map package.

Cheers,

Cam

0 Kudos
ElaineCollinson
New Contributor

Hi Cam, 

Thanks for your reply, I'll look into this first thing today. After I create the Feature Locator, is there a specific way I have to export it (such as a Hosted Feature Layer to online) to ensure it will work in the Explorer App?

Thanks,

Elaine

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Elaine Collinson‌,

I beleive as long as you create the locator using Create Address Locator tool this will solve the issue and the standard publication process for a mmpk will work.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers,
Cam

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Elaine Collinson‌,

What happens when you tap the checkmark / enter on your keyboard? You should get the results you expect after doing so.

Explorer works different then the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer in that feature results are only returned when tapping checkmark / enter. Suggestions, which is what is shown in the dropdown in your image, are only returned from the Geocoder that is set for your organization.

0 Kudos
ElaineCollinson
New Contributor

Hi Joel, 

Thanks for the reply. When I attempt this in the ArcGIS Online map I've created, it zooms to the correct location of the asset. When I attempt the same function in Explorer (by either hitting the checkmark or the tick button) I am taken to postcode locations in Singapore. 

Shouldn't setting the Search, as shown in the first image, also work in the Explorer App if its using the same map? And if not, how do I get the search to work correctly in the Explorer App? As that is what our field crew are using on their tablets and phones, and this is what they are needing to do their job correctly while out in the field. 

0 Kudos
HelenWhiteley
New Contributor III

Hi Elaine,

Did you ever get a resolution to this?  It sounds like exactly the same issue I am having with ArcGIS Explorer and needing to find locations by asset number.

Thanks,

Helen

0 Kudos