External Receiver in ArcGIS Explorer

Jump to solution
01-11-2019 07:39 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is it possible to use an external receiver in ArcGIS Explorer for iPad?  It would be great if we could use an trimble r1 to show location instead of the integrated receiver on the device.  This would be a nice feature for remembers of an organization who don't need to be using Collector but still needs high accuracy location being shown in a map.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the question. This is not supported in the current version of Explorer but we are hoping to support this in the next release of Explorer due out in Q1 or Q2 of 2019.

Hope this helps,

-Brent 

View solution in original post

13 Replies
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the question. This is not supported in the current version of Explorer but we are hoping to support this in the next release of Explorer due out in Q1 or Q2 of 2019.

Hope this helps,

-Brent 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Brent, I noticed you talked about Beta testing in another post.  Our organization would love to do that.  Right now we've been using collector with a "dummy" feature service as a band-aid until we can utilize Explorer with the external receivers.  If this is an option for us please let me know.  Right now we are using iPads and trimble r1s. 

Kenny_Ratliff
New Contributor III

That has been our work around also Patrick.

While we are on the subject @brentpierce... 🙂  Not having a scale visible on the tablet really throws our field guys for a loop.  When re-locating a point or mid-point on a water main, they don't realize how far they have zoomed in.  The marker keeps jumping around, making it seem they are missing the mark, when really they are less than inches off.  With the tablets we have, we have figured out a work-around by drawing a line as close to 6 feet as possible.  Zoom out until the line is touching each side of the screen.  This then provides a relocate accuracy of about 1-4 inches.  Is there any way to add a set scale option, or a visible scale.  (I also may be missing something that is already in place.  I welcome other input!)

Thanks!

BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Patrick, 

Please just email explorer4arcgis@esri.com stating you want to be on the beta and we will get you involved as soon as we have something to test. Thanks for your interest.

-Brent

0 Kudos
JaredTaylor
New Contributor III

Please do.  I want my field crews to be able to locate assets in the field using an external GPS.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Ratliff
New Contributor III

Discussed this with the developers a couple years ago.  Provided the use case for utilities.  Frustrating that it's taken this long to add the capability.  Looking forward to the next release.

BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

It is coming later this fall. What platform are you using Kenny? Would you be interested in testing this out in beta when available?

Kenny_Ratliff
New Contributor III

We are using Android tablets with the Eos Arrow Gold.  We have an iPad available if that is the preferred testing platform.  Absolutely!  We would welcome running the beta through the paces!  Let us know what you need.

0 Kudos
JaredTaylor
New Contributor III

Hi Kenny, 
Have you been working with Brent on the beta at all?  I did some testing today and was able to use my Arrow's positioning, but not the accuracy, or even know the accuracy.  Just wanted to see how it was going for you.

0 Kudos