Select to view content in your preferred language

Unique Values option stalls / hangs

05-02-2013 05:50 AM
MarkEvilsizor
Emerging Contributor
I am using this tool to map approximately 350 trees which have about 12 attributes for each.

In the past I have deleted and uploaded an ArcGIS desktop file to refresh the data and go through the formatting steps to make the display and popups appear as we desire.

This time the ArcGIS Explorer Online tool is failing at one crucial step. 
When I clidk on Configure Display, then choose the Unique Values option, the Finding values message appears with the spinning progress graphic, but it never resolves.

All the other options work fine, but we must have the grouping enabled by Unique Values.

Is it a bug with the online system?
Do I need to upgrade ArcGIS Desktop?
Is my data unique in some way that the online tool cannot handle?
7 Replies
JenniferAboaf
Occasional Contributor
I am having the exact same problem. I created the shapefiles with Desktop 10.1, SP 1. This is really hindering my progress ~ can somebody please look into this bug?

Thanks so much!
Jennifer
0 Kudos
PaulHuffman
Frequent Contributor
I searched the forum for this same problem that lhlibrary has, and hit this thread.  I'm just trying out some of the new features that ArcExplorer has. I added a shapefile with 755 records, 12 fields, and it displays fine. Then I thought maybe I could symbolize based on the unique values in one field, but all I get is a spinning graphic.  Shapefile too big?
0 Kudos
PaulHuffman
Frequent Contributor
I tried a subset of my data, 17 records, one unique value, but all I can get is the spinning progress graphic.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I have been running into this same issue. It doesn't matter how many features are in the shapefile or the number of attributes, it keeps getting hung up. This has to be a system error. I am discouraged that this appears to have been an issue for quite some time, without any solution.
0 Kudos
AllenRisley
Frequent Contributor
I am also having this problem.  I have a faculty member who wants to use ArcGIS Explorer Online in her classes, but she needs to be able to change the symbology of her shapefiles to Unique Values.  I have tested this function using my ArcGIS online organizational account (both an administrator and a user account) and using a free public account.  The outcome is always the same: spinning doohicky next to "Finding Values".  Left it for an hour and it still didn't find the values in an 18-record shapefile.

I used AGEO to do this exact same function a year ago when I taught the same class.  It worked fine.  Now it doesn't. 

Without the ability to change the symbology of her data, AGEO is of little use to her. Is this product being left to wither on the vine?

Allen Risley
Academic Technology Services
California State University San Marcos
arisley@csusm.edu
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I found a work-around in this thread
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/80861-cannot-display-symbology-unique-values?highlight=unique+value...

Basically, if you open the map in the ArcGIS Map Viewer you can symbolize using Unique Values. Then save the map and open it up again in ArcGIS Explorer online and the symbols carry over. The map viewer has less functionality, for example you can't use custom symbols which I needed, so I am stuck having to go back and forth between the two. A real pain!!
0 Kudos
MarkEvilsizor
Emerging Contributor
Thank you Chris, that workaround allowed me to properly configure my layer!

This will work until ArcGIS fixes the Explorer bug.
0 Kudos