Select to view content in your preferred language

Using GPS with ArcGIS Explorer 1700

07-01-2011 11:15 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jraines

Is there a way to specify the COM port for your GPS receiver even if Explorer doesn't identify that a receiver is connected?  I have a Dell XFR XT2 (ruggedized laptop/tablet) with a built in GPS and Explorer doesn't recognize it however I use it successfully in other programs.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JohnWilson3
New Contributor
Greetings,
I haven't seen this anomaly mentioned: in Windows XP, Explorer Build 1750, everything works as expected. In Windows 7 on our new laptop, there's a problem. Both machines use Targus USB Bluetooth adapters. On the Windows 7 machine, the GPS is on virtual port COM4. Selecting COM4i from the dropdown list puts the "Attempting to connect to GPS device" box on the screen for a fraction of a second and leaves the "GPS port settings" dialog on the screen. Typing COM4 in the dropdown window, instead of choosing COM4i, puts the "Attempting to connect to GPS device" on for a few seconds, then the GPS bug appears on the map and everything's fine.
What's com4i as opposed to com4?
BTW, I never would have thought of overriding the dropdown selection by typing the port number if I hadn't seen it mentioned in this forum.
Thanks
0 Kudos