unable to access custom application configuration files

11-30-2010 07:34 PM
Warwick
New Contributor II
Hello. A query regarding build 1500 of the Application configuration Manager

ArcGIS Explorer can not access custom application configuration files. Using the application configuration Manager a config file can be successfully created at the location specified, however when that file is selected and the preview button pressed, the message "unable to access application configuration" is displayed. If that config file is used in ArcGIS Explorer it can not start. All files in the ArcGIS Explorer folder of application data have to be deleted before the app can start again. Any ideas why AGX can't see the config file?

win XP 64 bit SP 2
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Have to checked the file permissions (i.e. security) and file properties (e.g. read-only)??

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
Warwick
New Contributor II
Mike, thanks for your help. File permissions appear fine. My account has full control on the new ncfg file. I have tried referencing the file using both UNC and drive letter.
0 Kudos
Warwick
New Contributor II
I have found the ArcGIS Explorer Configuration Manager can successfully preview a config file when it runs as an administrator. File permisions doesn't seem to be the issue. Is the application trying to write to a location other then temp\E3?
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

ArcGIS Explorer doesn't need administrative privileges at runtime - only during installation. As you observed, ArcGIS Explorer writes the cache to %temp%\E3. Additionally, other locations ArcGIS Explorer writes to are:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\ArcGIS Explorer
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\arcgis explorer
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\ArcGISPackageCache
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\ErrorReports

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos