Symbol Question

Jump to solution
03-18-2014 04:14 AM
ELTerrell
New Contributor III
Hi all,

I have 13 points I'm mapping and would like to use numbers as symbols so when I make the legend its simply a number and the ID/name from the attribute table.  However, I can only find in ESRI symbols 1 - 10 (that leaves me short 11, 12, 13).  Does anyone know how I can symbolize them with numbers?  The only thought I've had so far is to download number clipart.  Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Edwin,

Are you using ArcMap (ArcGIS Desktop)  if you are, you can use a predefined "label style" and modify it to your liking.

Here is a picture with the steps through the menus.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32328[/ATTACH]

Basically you would be placing a label from your attributes on top of a symbol.
at step 9 you can click OK to use that symbol behind a label, or optionally you can go to step 10 and customize further.

Also at step 7, you probably want to check Scale Marker to Fit text.

Also you will likely want to use placement properties, same dialog as step one and place the label on top of the point.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32327[/ATTACH]

The result could look like this.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32329[/ATTACH]

I attached a zip as well, so that you can view the work flow picture in full size, the inline image size limit in the forum may be too small to show the appropriate amount of detail.

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
It is a matter of creating a unique symbol for each number.  Not a nice option if you have hundreds.  I have had to do it for a feature but the most I have had to go so far was up to 65.

Once you do it save it as a layer file.

Hi all,

I have 13 points I'm mapping and would like to use numbers as symbols so when I make the legend its simply a number and the ID/name from the attribute table.  However, I can only find in ESRI symbols 1 - 10 (that leaves me short 11, 12, 13).  Does anyone know how I can symbolize them with numbers?  The only thought I've had so far is to download number clipart.  Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
ELTerrell
New Contributor III
And how do you create a unique symbol?
0 Kudos
ELTerrell
New Contributor III
I've actually been googling images of numbers, hoping to find a circled number that would match the ESRI symbols.  There's really not that much out there to upload to the symbols.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Edwin,

Are you using ArcMap (ArcGIS Desktop)  if you are, you can use a predefined "label style" and modify it to your liking.

Here is a picture with the steps through the menus.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32328[/ATTACH]

Basically you would be placing a label from your attributes on top of a symbol.
at step 9 you can click OK to use that symbol behind a label, or optionally you can go to step 10 and customize further.

Also at step 7, you probably want to check Scale Marker to Fit text.

Also you will likely want to use placement properties, same dialog as step one and place the label on top of the point.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32327[/ATTACH]

The result could look like this.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32329[/ATTACH]

I attached a zip as well, so that you can view the work flow picture in full size, the inline image size limit in the forum may be too small to show the appropriate amount of detail.

Mark
0 Kudos
ELTerrell
New Contributor III
Awesome, what a great idea! Thanks.
0 Kudos