Specify an arbitrary map scale to zoom to in ArcGIS Explorer 900 and higher?

06-17-2010 06:42 AM
danan
by
Occasional Contributor III
When working with non-service-based data in ArcGIS Explorer (AGX) (e.g. shapefiles, fGDBs, etc), is there a way to enter a specific map scale to zoom to or are the zoom scales fixed? Can they be overridden? What about when one consumes a Bing/Google map service in AGX? When a web app consumes such a service, clearly each "tick" on the zoom tool corresponds with a fixed map scale defined by the service.

How does AGX behave in this regard "out of the box", when interacting with map services, and when interacting with a combination of local data and map service data? Using AGX 900, I don't even see the current scale displayed, e.g. 1:24,000 or whatever, like one would see in ArcMap.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Dana,

You can zoom to predefined scales via the "Zoom To" drop down on the ribbon. Zooming to user specified or arbitrary scales is unfortunately only possible via the API - which means you would need to develop an "Add-In" to do this. I have actually developed a prototype Add-In which offers this functionality: it's in the form of a Gallery Add-In which can be added to the ribbon via an Application Configuration - for example to appear on the Home tab in the Map group. I will investigate making the prototype a little more robust and posting it on our "Labs" area on ArcGIS.com (unsupported Add-Ins from the Explorer team). Alternatively feel free to try this yourself - take a look at the ZoomtoMapScale on the MapDisplay class: http://resources.esri.com/help/1200/arcgisexplorer/componenthelp/index.html#/_/000300000414000000/.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
danan
by
Dana,
You can zoom to predefined scales via the "Zoom To" drop down on the ribbon. Zooming to user specified or arbitrary scales is unfortunately only possible via the API - which means you would need to develop an "Add-In" to do this. I have actually developed a prototype Add-In which offers this functionality: it's in the form of a Gallery Add-In which can be added to the ribbon via an Application Configuration - for example to appear on the Home tab in the Map group. I will investigate making the prototype a little more robust and posting it on our "Labs" area on ArcGIS.com (unsupported Add-Ins from the Explorer team). Alternatively feel free to try this yourself - take a look at the ZoomtoMapScale on the MapDisplay class: http://resources.esri.com/help/1200/arcgisexplorer/componenthelp/index.html#/_/000300000414000000/.

Thanks Mike. Please post here, if you don't mind, when you get the add-in posted.

In the web help for Zoom To, I see 6 predefined map scales. They have names but no indication of the exact map scales (e.g. 1:24,000 etc)
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1200//en/index.html#layer_properties_source_data.htm
1. World  
2. Continent 
3. Country
4. State/Province
5. City
6. Street

Nor do I see any indicator of what scale I'm zoomed to at any given moment. While this might work for a web app, it seems like a significant deficiency in a desktop GIS app. One reason is because of the resampling behavior. If I don't zoom to the specific scales of the tiles in a map cache, those tiles will get warped and there will be a loss of image quality (and with that, labels may become difficult to read).

Are there any plans, in AGX 1500 or beyond, to:

#1 Expose the particular map scale one is zoomed to (as in ArcMap)
#2 Provide a mechanism for zooming to a particular, predefined set of scales (e.g. not the 6 name-only scales that exist out of the box)
#3 Allow users to zoom to a specific scale

In my opinion, these three simple items should be core and not add-ins (or 1 and 3 at least). It may not be important in a web app for a user to know what map scale they're at, and it's probably irrelevant for a user to specify a particular map scale to zoom to (since what will display is "hard coded" to the particular service(s) being used). But for anyone wanting to do "real work" in ArcGIS Explorer, I'd expect they'd want to have #1 and #3.

Thanks.

Dana
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Dana,

Thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately at this point I don't think this functionality is likely to be in 1500. One of the reasons it hasn't been in 900/1200 is that map scale isn't really relevant in 3D and traditionally ArcGIS Explorer has been a 3D application. However with the inclusion of 2D from 900 onwards, I agree, it would be a nice feature to have. Perhaps the scale value display / drop down / button could be disabled or hidden when in 3D mode?

I'm just trying to decide how to handle the 3D situation in my Zoom to Map Scale Add-In before I post it. Current plan it to tilt the obersver view back to 90 degrees (looking directly downwards) then zoom to the specific scale. However in 3D it will always be an approximation. Alternatively I could jsut disable the Add-In while in 3D mode. Your feedback would be appreciated on this.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
danan
by
Dana,

Thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately at this point I don't think this functionality is likely to be in 1500. One of the reasons it hasn't been in 900/1200 is that map scale isn't really relevant in 3D and traditionally ArcGIS Explorer has been a 3D application. However with the inclusion of 2D from 900 onwards, I agree, it would be a nice feature to have. Perhaps the scale value display / drop down / button could be disabled or hidden when in 3D mode?

I'm just trying to decide how to handle the 3D situation in my Zoom to Map Scale Add-In before I post it. Current plan it to tilt the obersver view back to 90 degrees (looking directly downwards) then zoom to the specific scale. However in 3D it will always be an approximation. Alternatively I could jsut disable the Add-In while in 3D mode. Your feedback would be appreciated on this.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike. I didn't realize 2D mode was only available from 900 onward. As best I know, the majority of our users will be in 2D mode (what their default map will be set to). My personal opinion would be to do exactly what you suggest--if a precise map scale is irrelevant or misleading in 3D mode, then disable it.

Or, if it's possible with the add-in, pop-up a warning to the user when first entering, or switching to, 3D mode, e.g. "Map scale in 3D mode is an approximation only. Do you really want to view the map scale?" with a sub-option of "don't ask me again."
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Dana,

Apologies for the delay in posting this - I hope to have the Add-In hosted in the ArcGIS Explorer Labs group on ArcGIS.com shortly but for now I have simply posted the Add-In straight to ArcGIS.com: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=dd68c3836cb24d6d9d5030f6837e61a2. Feel free to send any feedback on this Add-In to mbranscomb@esri.com.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
danan
by
Dana,

Apologies for the delay in posting this - I hope to have the Add-In hosted in the ArcGIS Explorer Labs group on ArcGIS.com shortly but for now I have simply posted the Add-In straight to ArcGIS.com: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=dd68c3836cb24d6d9d5030f6837e61a2. Feel free to send any feedback on this Add-In to mbranscomb@esri.com.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike. Any chance you could roll in a display of the current 2D map scale (regardless of whether one wants to zoom to a predefined scale or not)?
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Dana,

Unfortunately not for 1200 - at least not without making it a DockWindow Add-In, but I was keen to stick a drop-down/Gallery style Add-In for best usability.

However I'm also working on a 1500 version which, due to some new API features, will be able to display the current map scale. Should be able to post that online some time in mid-late August / early September.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
HarryBrignac
New Contributor

This is a great add-in.

I'm glad I found it.

It's very very helpful.

The only thing better would have the scale in the bottom corner as you are zooming so can keep track of it when you are zooming in and out a lot.  I see it's been mentioned and hopefully it will be available for newer versions.

Thanks and keep up the good work there at ESRI

0 Kudos