Select to view content in your preferred language

NMFs opening as XML from a web page, how do I get it to open in AGX

07-25-2013 07:10 AM
EllenBryson1
New Contributor II
I'm using Sharepoint to post various ArcGIS Explorer maps I've created (site visit, jurisdictional determination, shoreline project etc). I also have layers I'm sharing on the same Sharepoint site. The layer files work nicely, the user clicks and the layer gets added right into ArcGIS Explorer. But my map files (nmfs) open in the browser, even though each computer is configured to open nmf file with AGX. I'm fairly certain it's because the nmf file is an xml, but how do I work around that? Any help greatly appreciated. ~Ellen Bryson
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdamGuo
New Contributor II
have you tried to right click on the file and go to 'Open with" and then choose the program to associate the .nmf with?
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Ellen,

I am not sure if SharePoint adds complexity, but I know that others have run into this issue when trying to open files from their web server.   The solution is to add the MIME type.

.nmf    application/e3.exe

Mark
0 Kudos
EllenBryson1
New Contributor II
have you tried to right click on the file and go to 'Open with" and then choose the program to associate the .nmf with?

Hi Adam and Mark,

Thanks for the ideas. I do have the right click option in Windows Explorer but apparently not with Sharepoint. I have associated nmf files with E3 on my own computer but apparently that doesn't carry over to my browser...

I will pursue getting my IT folks to add the mime type, as Mark suggested I don't think that is dangerous so hopefully they will go along with it. Thanks again! Ellen
0 Kudos