Select to view content in your preferred language

KML File Issue: Attribute info not popping up when I click on feature

12-07-2010 05:14 AM
InmanHartsfield
Deactivated User
Using ArcGIS 10, I am working with a shapefile layer that contains approximately 110 parcel polygons (features) with a significant amount of attributes for each feature. In ArcGIS 10, I can click on a feature and all of the attribute information pops up for that feature. I wanted to be able to e-mail the file to other users, so I used the Arc Toolbox to convert the shapefile layer to a KML file.

The conversion appeared to work fine, however, when I open the KML file in ArcGIS Explorer (1500), I can't get the attribute information to pop up when I click on any of the features. When I double-click the feature, it just re-centers the map where I clicked. I am relatively new at working with ArcGIS 10 and ArcGIS Explorer, so I'm pretty sure I must have just missed a step or something. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
If you want to share from ArcMap 10 to other ArcGIS Explorer users you can use a layer package.  Right Click on the layer in ArcMap and create layer package.  Use the HTML popup properties of the layer to control which attributes appear in the popup window.

If you need to create KML, there is away to create it using ArcGIS Explorer 1500.

Download the query plus add-in. http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=86d1eb20b0564b9f8a528e0e723ae3e6

This add-in will allow you to select the features from your shapefile that you want to share as KML.

1. Add your shapefile to ArcGIS Explorer.

2. Use Query Plus add-in to select the desired features.

3. Add the selection to the ArcGIS Explorer map.  This step creates notes out of the features.

4. Right click on the notes and share them as KML.

Mark
0 Kudos
InmanHartsfield
Deactivated User
Mark,

Thank you for the suggestions you made. I was able to use the method you described utilizing the Query Plus add-in to create the KML file and it worked perfectly. Once I opened up the KML file in ArcGIS Explorer, the popups worked exactly as they did in my ArcMap desktop program.

One thing I was wondering though, the Query Plus add in only gives the option of selecting features (in my case, polygons) utilizing solid, filled-in colors. I will need to add the KML file over an aerial photograph basemap, so I need the selection of the polygons to have just an outline color, but no fill color. Is there any way to accomplish this? If so, that would be perfect since the KML file is a single, very small file that can easily be e-mailed to other parties in remote locations. Thanks so much again for your help and I look forward to hearing any thoughts or comments anyone may have in this regard.
0 Kudos