Installing ArcGIS Explorer 2500 on Windows 8.1  FIXED in 2505

07-19-2013 02:31 PM
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
The ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2500 setup.exe validator does not correctly validate Windows 8.1 Preview.  You can still install and use ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2500 on Windows 8.1 by doing the following:

run the installer, this will download and unpack the install files on your computer.  By default it will place the files in
%AppData%\Local\Temp\ArcGISExplorer\2500\Setup

In this folder you can run the AllUsers.msi or PerUser.msi to install the software.

-Mark
0 Kudos
22 Replies
JohnNowlin
Occasional Contributor II

Just tried to open ArcGIS Explorer for Desktop Build 2505 (AGX-D), and it wouldn't open.

While it has been about a month since I tried to open AGX-D Bld 2505 I was hoping it would work today, nope.

One interesting change I noticed was that after the splash screen had been up for a few minutes a black border appeared around it. While it certainly could have been there I don't remember the black box when it was just build 2500.

Will reboot and see if the problem goes away. . .

0 Kudos
JohnNowlin
Occasional Contributor II

I ended task and tried to restart, and i learned what the black box was, If i am trying top open AGX-D and the splash screen is up, and I try to open a second instance, then that stops responding and the black box is related to that.

So, I rebooted, and then the first program I opened was AGX-D . . . it hung-up. . . I ended task and then immediately tried again, then it started.

If I monitor task manager while starting up, I noticed that about 35 to 40 MB of memory into startup the task just sits idle, but when it fully loads it goes higher. Something is getting hung up when starting the program.

I would really like an ESRI person to contact me about this and monitor my system remotely to observe these issues. . . Maybe they could then resolve the problems in the next release. I am on maintenance. If any ESRI rep reads this and would like to observe, please contact me at my information on file.

Best Regards,

j

0 Kudos
MichaelMontemayor
Esri Contributor

John,

Thank you for reaching out on this and making the call for help.  We'll have one of our Support Analysts contact you.

Best,

Monte (Michael)

0 Kudos