Find using locator in AGX Desktop?

08-11-2014 02:12 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have setup an address locator using local street data and exported to a locator package. I have loaded the package into ArcGIS Explorer Desktop (under Resources, manage locators), however when I type in any variations of an address, it says 'not found'. I have tested this locator in ArcGIS Desktop using the find tool and it works great. Why is this working in Arc but not Explorer desktop? Is there a setting or something I'm missing? I would assume the functionality is supposed to work the same here....

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Nathan,

Do you see the hints?

hits.jpg

ArcGIS Explorer differs a little bit from ArcMap in that it want all of the hints to be filled out.

For example ArcMap will find results with "380 new york street"  ArcGIS Explorer Desktop will not.

Mark

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Mark

Yeah, you're not kidding. In AGX it has to be EXACT to what the attributes are. Which, if you don't know exactly how the attributes are setup, doesn't help at all. But that did work either way. Would be great if you didn't need that level of detail.

I was hoping to set this up for a local Road Commission but they're not going to want to type in all those specifics each time they need an address located. They're just as better off using Bing. Back to the drawing board.

locator2.png

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Nathan,

You could build a single address locator with ArcToolbox

createlocator.jpg

Then ArcGIS Explorer would just give one choice to fill out.

singlestreet.jpg

Mark

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good suggestion. It's a little clunky to worth with, but I'll keep trying.

0 Kudos
EllenBryson2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Nathan

This small clarification might help you.

In the new AGX geocoder, you don't have to have every piece of an address to find a place. Even if you have limited information, as long as you structure the request by adding commas where needed, it will work fairly well.

I've searched with success for just a street address and zip code, which is of course, unique in the US. I've also found locations using just the street address, city, and state, with no zip code. And if you type a city and state only, you'll find the center of the city.

Here's how.

AGX should prompt you as soon as you start typing an address in the address box, by 'bolding' the value it wants next, below your input. See my snapshot below, where I'm about the type  "pa." Region is bolded (ESRI uses Region for state). Notice the commas I used in the address to skip over neighborhood and subregion values.

geocodePrompts.PNG

And here's what it found:

foundLocation.PNG

You can also create your own locator, as Mark mentions, but if that's not an option, perhaps this will work well enough for your team.

~Ellen Bryson

0 Kudos